where to bottle condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy_kev

Reaction score
I just bottled up a few bottles of beer and am wondering where I should condition them. I am thinking room temp and in the dark. But my wife doesnt want the beer in the cabinet in case it explodes and then I have a big mess. Wont the garage and basement be too cold, I live in NJ where the highs for this week are going to be in the 30's after a 75 degree day tomorrow.
where does everybody condition at?
when I do the full batch I am not going to have enough room to store 2 cases in my cabinets without my wife being on my back.

did you put nitro in the beer? otherwise i cant see anything exploding...as long as you gave the yeast enough time to finish its job before you bottled youll be allright. usually 1 week primary and 2 weeks secondary is enough, but if it makes the wife feel better just wrap the bottles up in some thick garbage bags just incase. you definitely dont want them in 30 degree weather...room temp for 3-4 weeks, then put them where ever you want...

nope just regular dextrose. it has been 3 weeks... and 1 day :)
not too concerned about them exploding. so where do you keep 2 cases of beer that is conditioning. if they need to be room temp and I assume out of light

What's your temp in your basement? If it's too cool, you could put it in a corner in a room somewhere that doesn't get direct sunlight and throw a blanket over it. I condition mine in a closet.

I think you want them to be at roughly fermentation temperature, probably above 65 anyway, for at least the first week. After that, it's probably OK for them to go somewhere cooler.

I keep them in the pantry cabinet where I ferment (in non-summer, anyway) for two weeks, then move them to my 60 degree basement floor.

kevy_kev said:
so where do you keep 2 cases of beer that is conditioning. if they need to be room temp and I assume out of light
Put a six pack in the warmest (dark) spot in your house to condition quickly...put the rest in the basement. Once you start drinking them, move some out of the basement to the warm spot as space becomes available.

I wouldnt say that too loud that your from Camden. :) It has been rated the worst city in the us for the last 2 or 3 years. I used to live the next town over from Camden, Oaklyn. Ive lived in SJ my whole life. Its a small world.

Back