One-stage fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winesburg Ale

Reaction score
What do you think is the maximum time you can safely leave your brew in the primary fermenter? I brewed 5 gallons of pretty heavy Scottish Ale last Thursday. I was planning to leave it in the primary for 2 weeks, and then bottle. Unfortunately, looking at my schedule, I don't think I'll be able to bottle it at two weeks. It would be more like three weeks. Is there much risk of autolysis and off-flavors?

Thanks

I think the current board record is 8 months in the fermenter and two years in the clearing tank. I keg directly and will let the brew ferment and then settle for 3-4 weeks before kegging.

I regularly leave brew in the primary for 2 months with no problems what so ever.

I have a couple in the primary right now that are still bubbling the airlock and the krausen just dropped and its been 2.5 weeks. I have left brews in the primary as long as 5-6 weeks without ill effects.

Longer appears to be fine but I try to limit mine to 4-5 weeks in the primary. I have switched most of my ales to primary only and leave them 3-5 weeks.
Craig

When I use a bucket (as opposed to glass) I now leave it for at Least three + weeks- because I have opened a bucket up at 20 days- and still had things floating that needed to settle.
Some one stated that all of this is temp. dependent- which makes some sense to me- because in the dog days of summer- when the basement is like 71'- turnaround seemed to be faster- and now that its so much cooler- I'm noticing a slower process. This is with ale yeast- and just what I have observed personally.

david_42 said:
I think the current board record is 8 months in the fermenter and two years in the clearing tank.

Whoever has that record needs to start brewing sour beers immediately, that's the kind of patience I like to see!

landhoney said:
Whoever has that record needs to start brewing sour beers immediately, that's the kind of patience I like to see!
I usually leave mine in the primary for 3 weeks, then package it(bottle/keg).

Back