Removing mineral deposits on bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firepunk

Reaction score
So I just got 21+ swing top bottles from my dad but they are covered in and out with mineral deposits. He had been using them as weights to hold down some tarp on the ground in his garden.

They have been sitting in the backyard for like a year or so filled with hose water and then when they watered the garden they had hose water sprinkled on them for over a year.

I've soaked them in oxyclean and scrubbed them in and out a couple times now, and run them through the dishwasher a couple times as well and still mineral deposits everywhere. I'm considering trying a soak in vinegar water but was wondering if there was a simpler less stinky method to get rid of those darn deposits.

Thanks

I second the star san idea, if you cant find star san ammonia works exceptionally well, but probably even more of a stink than the vinegar.

the starsan has worked wonders! I let the bottles soak for about 30 mins in starsan and 85% of the bottles look as good as new. The other 15% just get another soaking and some elbow grease.

Now to replace the washers.

Back