Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarysnare

Reaction score
I grew hops for the first time this year and I yielded about 1 1/2 oz of zeus hops(high alphas, about 15-17%). I would like to try them in a pale ale. Where would I add them to get the best flavor? (bittering, flavoring, or Dry hop)

I'm a first year hop grower. So far I have only used hops for aroma / flavoring, and dry hop additions. My harvest ale is pretty tasty and I only used commercial hops to bitter the beer.

If you want to get the best flavor from them, use them around the 20-0 min mark. Any earlier and you'll use it for bittering, and lose flavor.

Keep in mind, if these are fresh wet hops, you'll need roughly 1.5X the normal amount for the same amount of dried commercial varieties.

so you recommend putting them in the boil rather then dryhopping them.

I did dry them in the garage on a screen for 3 days

I've done both. Its the brewers choice honestly. If I could offer advice it would be to add a lot of homegrown hops. Mine just don't have the muscle in terms of flavor & aroma of commercial hops. Of course you cant have to much hops in a beer so no worries there :)

Back