Thoughts on not using sorghum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
I have now brewed 2 partial extracts using tapioca syrup and brown rice syrup.
Here is what I have concluded:

If you are not using sorghum extract then use a LOT more grains then I did. Both were 5 gallon batches and had 1.5-2lbs of grain. Their flavors came through, but faintly. I think Igliashon before has said 1lb of grain per gallon and that seems good.

Candi syrups provide great flavors and color, but they don't make up for barley. Adjunct flavors are a must.

Some sorghum, I think, isn't a bad thing. Even in non-IPA or fruit geared beers. Maybe always 1lb no matter what to add some depth and complexity of flavor.

I tend to agree for the most part. A little sorghum is usually better than no sorghum. One thing I want to experiment with, as far as adjunct grains are concerned, is trying to partial-mash them with some enzymes instead of just steeping them. I'm doing a white IPA this week that I'm gonna use some GF instant oats, sweet potato, and some amylase blend, and see how that works out.

Back