25 ft Copper IC from NY Brew Supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bken620

Reaction score
Ordered the 25 ft CIC from NY Brew Supply via Amazon on Thursday, July 19th, got it today, Saturday, July 21st, that's only a two day turn around, pretty fast if you ask me (technically I only live 2 states over). I have not had a chance to leak test it, but it seems like it's pretty quality to me. Since I only payed $50 including shipping on this I feel pretty comfortable that I did the right thing. I think I'm going to brew a cream ale batch tomorrow that's been awaiting me for 3 weeks in my mini fridge.

I've searched for and read a couple of threads on the IC's from NY Brew Supply and everyone seems to be pretty happy with them, I was wondering if anyone has anything to say with their IC's from NY Brew Supply and if there's anything I should expect from the fittings, or anything I should do prior to using it? (Other then cleaning it with OxiClean.)

I personally don't have one, but it'd be worthwhile to hook it up and just run some water through to make sure there are no leaks. Certainly don't want it running back into the wort. Sounds like a really good deal too, which I'd have gotten it.

i just received and ic as well. i dont plan to brew for a couple weeks but was wondering if i should first boil my new ic in water to clean it before its 1st use.

You can clean it once with a light vinegar solution. When you boil it in the wort the first time, some of the copper oxide may come off, but it won't hurt anything. This link has some good info on metal cleaning.

i just got the 25' as well. I did go to Home Depot first but $50 for a 25' roll of tubing. I was better off just ordering a pre made deal. NY brew supply did a really nice job and its very quality ! I plan to vinegar and PBW scrub mine.

is there a right or wrong way to hook it up? what i mean is should the outlet come from the bottom or top of the coil?

You want the piece of tubing coming up from the bottom to be your hot water out, that is the most efficient way to do it.

No real need to clean it down a ton. Rise it off, maybe give it a quick scrub with a sponge or something incase there is any debris or such on it.

When you go to use it, I just make sure it's clean, and then put it in the boil with 15 or so minutes left to sanitize it before it's used.

Be careful to not let your hoses burn from the heat though!

TY for the post because I just got a Polarware IC from Rebel Brewer and it is TINY! (may 7-8in dia coils) I doubt it will do the job for my 5-8 gal wort brews. Just sent an email to Rebel about it.

Robert

So I used the IC today to chill my wort, it definitely worked, brought the temperature down to about 80 F in about 35 minutes. This is a huge improvement on my other method of just letting the wort cool on it's own, haha.

Be sure to boil it and test it when it's HOT. I leak tested mine (it passed) only to get a leak (which shot water back into wart) when brewing. The tubing attached to the ends can soften when heated and this was the source of my leak.

I bought mine with GH fittings. I modified it with a ball valve on the inlet side. This way I can turn the water off and on right there at the IC. They NY brew supply also sells on eBay .

I put quick disconnects on mine, wrapped the threads in teflon tape and tightened em' down. Now I don't have to worry about the hoses being burned or melted until after I turn off the burner.

Back