10 gallon boil into 2 5 gal carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well its the maiden voyage of my 15 gallon kettle this weekend, my first 10 gallon batch! The only thing I'm doin differently is doubling the recipe as far as I can see. That and making a starter so my count is up. One question that I do have is this; I am going to flow from my CFC into two 5 gal carboys, can I just fill them one after the other from the CFC? Is the wort that homogeneous after the boil that I can fill that way and they will both come out allright? Maybe I'm being obsessive as usual! And if you all have any other pointers that I should remember when stepping up to ten gal batches I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

Yes, you'll be fine. I'd recommend not filling the first one to the very top as you might end up with 5.5 in one and 4.5 in the other. Fill it 3/4, move to the next, 3/4, then top them both off as even as you can. Depending on your trub/hop filtering method, the second carboy might get more of it. I wouldn't be all that concerned.

I usually primary in plastic and secondary in glass. I had the same question but I was thinking more about pitching. Do you do two strains, starters, etc or do you do one and try to split it between the two? i was considering a rubbermaid brute as primary for that reason and then splitting into two 5-gal carboys for secondary and eventual kegging.

I regularly do 10 gallon batches. Someday I would like to get a large fermenter to handle the total volume but for now I primary in two 6 gallon glass carboys and transfer to the 5 gallon carboys for secondary.

I brew for a post boil volume between 11.5 to 12 gallons. After blow off and trub sediment, the beer fits nicely into the 5 gallon carboys.

I make one large starter and split the yeast as evenly as possible between the two vessels and empty the contents of the brew kettle trying to keep an even amount into each 6 gallon fermenter.

I don't keg yet so when it comes time to bottle, I use my keggle as the bottling bucket and combine the beers back together.

As soon as I started doing 10-gallon batches, it was back to the buckets for primaries for me.

1) Easier to carry
2) No need to worry about blow off tubes
3) I use the buckets to aerate by pouring back and forth until sudsing
4) This bucket mixing insures identical beers
5) My carboys are clean and reserved for secondary purposes.

Back