Oxygen-Absorbing Crown Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich711

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello

When should you use Oxygen-Absorbing Crown Caps?

What is difference between oxygen scavenging and oxygen barrier caps and which to you use for what?

How do know which one is which if you were trying to buy them?

I saw a bin with Oxygen-Absorbing Crown Caps in Brew Supply store, and when i tried to research the product, the more info and posts I found, the more confused I became.

Cheers :mug:
Rich

O2 absorber caps have a grey lining on the inside of the cap. I don't know how beneficial they are, really, but at $0.50 more for a bag of them compared to regular caps I figure it can't hurt to use them.

What is difference between oxygen scavenging and oxygen barrier caps and which to you use for what?

"scavanging" would mean that they actively remove oxygen that would be in the bottle. "barrier" would just mean they prevent oxygen from getting in.

oxygen scavanging caps are more beneficial for long term storage of beer. if you are drinking it in a few weeks to a few months, you might not notice a difference. if you plan on aging your beer for several months, you will probably taste a difference depending on how much oxygen you normally end up with in your bottles (changes depending on your process).

Back