Squat Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vasie

Reaction score
I am curious. Do any of you use short fat fermenters. I am building a kegerator ( as mentioned in another recent post in this forum ) and and thinking about doing some lagering in the old freezer portion of the frige. I only have a couple of feet of clearence and am not sure how warm I can run the freezer, but if I can find a fermenter with the proper dimensions, I am in business.

[edit] I have 16 vertical inches of clearance.. If I could find a 12''h x 14'' diameter bucket, that would work.

I've seen short fermenters designed for wine. If you can find a plastic bag with an 02 barrier, you could use a rectangular bin to hold the bag.

Maybe, it has been a while since I have bought one. I do remember them being pretty short. I look it up.. Thanks.

Hey thanks again. Looks like it will fit... I haven't done any lagering, but I am assuming that due to the cold temps, you will not need an airlock for the container. If that is the case, it looks like a pony might just work. I have never filled one of these guys up.. I am assuming that the center connector just screws off and you can syphon fill it just like a corny. Right?

¼ US Sankey 16½ in diameter and 13½ inch tall with no connector.

If you are just doing lagering, put it in a corny keg. Seal it up and lay it down on its side in there. Depending on how deep it is, you may be able to put two in there. There is no appreciable amount of CO2 produced during lagering so pressure build up will not be a problem.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Back