21 hours and no Safale S-05 activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I rehydrated for the first time last night; 30 minutes in 78 deg sterile water. I shook up my ale pail real well and poured the slurry in. The wort was approx. 68 deg and the ambient temp in the room is approx 65-67 deg. Here It is 21 hrs later and absolutely no activity at all. What's going on and should I think about repitching another dry pack of S-05?

Help...

Probably a bad seal on your bucket. If you want to open it a bit and look, you'll most likely see krausen. Or, you could wait for a bit to see if anything starts bubbling.

I guess you could shine a flashlight at the side of the bucket and probably see the dark shadow from the krausen, too.

There's a sticky somewhere about waiting for fermentation to start, too.

That has always been a solid performer for me. I brewed last night and pitched re-hydrated S-05 and is was chugging away when I got up this morning. (As usual)

What do you mean by no activity? Buckets don't always seal fully, which leads to a lack of bubbling in the airlock.
From the previously mentioned sticky:
Fermentation can take 24-72 hours to begin.
Don't worry if your brew takes up to 3 days to show signs fermenting.
Especially if you used liquid yeast and didn't make a big starter and oxygenate.
It is also worth noting that no bubbles in the air lock does not mean it isn't fermenting.

If at 3 days nothing seems to of happened then take a gravity reading to make sure you haven't missed the fermentation.
It is preferable to have a brew start fermenting as soon as possible
If you follow correct and advised procedures then I say most brews see activity in 6 to 18 hours. If this doesn't happen then it doesn't mean you've done anything wrong. You may just not be seeing it or it's taking it's time.

It is quite common for new brews to get worried after 24 hours to 48 hours.
They get told to wait and then realize that the advice was correct.

First, 21 hours is NOT 72 hours, and as we say here, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/ (But in thise thread it is said repeatedly Airlock is NOT the visible sign we are talking about.) THEN take a hydrometer reading, and you will know what your beer is doing.

By "not active at all" are you referring to airlock activity? That's never an accurate indication of fermentation. It is a vent to release excess co2..not a fermentation gauge...

Your beer will ferment whether or not the airlock bubbles. If it's not bubbling it usually just means that doesn't need to release any EXCESS co2. Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that anything's wrong, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working dilligantly away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years..

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about adding more yeast, like you asked about, without first taking a grav reading is tantamount to the doctor doing the same thing to you....proposing a "cure" without really knowing what the problem is.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

annasdadhockey... You could have handeled this yourself. :D if in doubt, just quote one of the 10,000 posts whre I have said the same thing..I don't care if you take my words as gospel and not credit me..you knew the answer. :D you couolda said it yourself..... :mug:

I should have quoted you instead of the sticky Revvy. Your wording is a little more clear and concise.

I should have quoted you instead of the sticky Revvy. Your wording is a little more clear and concise.

It's okay, we still love you. In reality, I still check my airlock like a hawk for the first 2 weeks. I get all :ban: when my airlock bubbles. I don't think I would have as much fun brewing if my airlock didn't bubble.

I used the US-05 yesterday also. Its been 19 hours for me, and no bubbles yet.

I'll check again tonight.

whoah - andysim, that avatar's freaking me out. Must ... pretend ... I ... didn't ... see ...

You can all rest easy now. My beer was burping very healthily this morning! Interesting though that even after rehydrating it took over 24 hours to show signs. I always thought that rehydrating would speed things up? I wonder I'd the 8-10 or so degrees difference between the yeast suspension and the wort(the wort being cooler) might of shocked the yeast a little. Thoughts?

Thanks fellas!:mug:

You didn't really say what you brewed (if you did I missed it).

I brewed a higher gravity IPA once and the Mr Malty thing told me to pitch 1.2 packets. So, I thought to myself "what the heck am I going to do with an open packet of yeast?" and just pitched two. That was some fermentation, let me tell you. It was blowing foam all over the place. :p

Waldoar, I brewed a pale ale. It's actually Ed Wort's pale ale with a couple modifications to darken up the color a bit.

Anyone have any ideas on why my fermentation took so long to get started even after I rehydrated?

Beav,

Sometimes they take a while to get up and gasing away. Most times, your question is answered: because yeast have their own schedule. They do not follow your rules and you are on their timeline, not the other way around. :)

Read Revvy's thread that he gave you, it tackles your question in detail

Beav,

Sometimes they take a while to get up and gasing away. Most times, your question is answered: because yeast have their own schedule. They do not follow your rules and you are on their timeline, not the other way around. :)

Read Revvy's thread that he gave you, it tackles your question in detail

Phatuna,

I appreciate your response. I guess my thinking is that I'm hearing form many, many people that when they rehydrate yeast their fermentation takes off like gangbusters. When mine doesn't my first assumption is that I'm doing something wrong, something more or less than what these other people are doing. It can't just be coincidence that mine didn't take off right away. I'm fine and agree with fermentation being on the yeast's timeline, I'm just wondering why my yeast isn't behaving like everyone elses. I just want to learn as much as I can from each session.

thanks again:mug:

Phatuna,

I appreciate your response. I guess my thinking is that I'm hearing form many, many people that when they rehydrate yeast their fermentation takes off like gangbusters. When mine doesn't my first assumption is that I'm doing something wrong, something more or less than what these other people are doing. It can't just be coincidence that mine didn't take off right away. I'm fine and agree with fermentation being on the yeast's timeline, I'm just wondering why my yeast isn't behaving like everyone elses. I just want to learn as much as I can from each session.

thanks again:mug:

Dude, yeasts are living creatures, they are bound by their own rhythms and needs, and conditions. When we are dealing with living creatures, there is a wild card factor in play. Just like with other animals, including humans. No two behave the same.

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....but it was like symbiotic or something...

So it is best just to rdwhahb and trust that they know to what they are doing.

So just because you "have nread about OTHER people's experiences," doesn't mean that the yeast are doing anything wrong. It just means that you haven't experienced on of the infinite NORMAL behaviors that living organisms, living wildcards, are capable of.

Don't assume the worst with the yeast, realize that they've been making beer since long before our great great great grandfather copped his first buzz from a 40 of mickey's out back of the highschool, so they are the experts. :D

Yeasts are like teenagers, swmbos, and humans in general, they have their own individual way of doing things.

Yeast in the 21st century are pretty reliable, it's different than it was before homebrewing was legalized in the 70's, and fermentis is one of the most advanced yeast places there is.

Take a read of this to see what I think about "bad yeast.' https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/am-i-cursed-dead-white-labs-again-135785/#post1553441

And relax.

:mug:

Back