wireless internet problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
My buddy is stuck in a hotel room with a new HP laptop. He can detect the wireless network, he says there isn't a login for it and that he should just be able to log in. He tries to open Internet Explorer but it can't find the internet. I walked him through a release/renew of the IP address but that didn't fix it, he ended up with the same settings as before the release/renew. What else can I have him try?

Go to the front desk and get the SSID or check if there's a password. If they give him both and it still doesnt work (or say it's an auto-detect type network), then there's a problem and the hotel should be able to call their support people to get it fixed. Hope that helps.

It could be his IE settings, Does he have dial up at home or broadband. Is it a work computer? It might have a config script that is trying to connect to his default network.

He's never used any internet service at home. It's a brand new laptop and he's been waiting for Verizon to show up for 3 weeks to set up his service. He doesn't have a default network.

Another tech question, when someone says Windows XP admin tools, are they talking about defrag/system restore/regedit, that kind of stuff?

You say he can DETECT the network. Can he connect to it? If he's not connected, he's not going to be able to work in explorer

Latest posts

Back