Honey Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
I have a NB Kolsch kit waiting to be brewed (was a gift). I really enjoyed the last one I made, and was looking forward to this one. Today I recieved the new NB catalogue and they have added a new Honey Kolsch, to give a cleaner, dryer finish. Here are the differences between the two:

Kolsch:
  • 6# Gold LME
  • 1# Laglander DME
  • 1.5oz Hallertau (60)
  • 0.5 Hallertau (5min)
  • WY#2565 Kolsch
Honey Kolsch:
  • 6# Gold LME
  • 1# Honey
  • 1.5oz Hallertau (60)
  • 0.5 Hallertau (5min)
  • WY#1010 American Wheat Yeast
Based upon this, I have a couple questions: Could I substitute the honey into mine with the Kolsch yeast? What type of honey do you use? Can you just use grocery store honey? Also, what would be the harm in using both the honey and the DME? I know it would be outside the guidlines for a Kolsch gravity...but who cares?

-Todd

Personally, I'd be picky about the honey I used--just because I don't trust that grocery store honey doesn't have crazy stuff added to it. My store just happens to have a local honey supplier that packages clover and orange blossom honey, and it says 100% natural so I buy it and put it in my beers.

As for the cleaner, drier finish--honey is like 98% fermentable so that is why it would be drier, along with the 1056 yeast, which finishes pretty clean as well.

You could definitley use the Kolsch yeast, and you could even maybe add some honey malt (1/4 lb.) to accentuate the honey taste even more.

Excellent. I think I may brew the kit, but add 1# of either wildflower or orange blossom honey. SHould start me at around 1.058 but finish clean/clear like a good Kolsch. Can't wait.

-Todd

HomerT said:
Honey Kolsch:
  • 6# Gold LME
  • 1# Honey
  • 1.5oz Hallertau (60)
  • 0.5 Hallertau (5min)
  • WY#1010 American Wheat Yeast
This isn't really a Kolsch style beer, is it? I thought that the yeast had a big impact on the Kolsch style. Adding honey and changing the yeast makes this into its own style, and it's hard to call it a Kolsch.

I'm not saying this looks bad...I'll gladly tilt my neck if given one. I'm just saying the NB is getting pretty loose with their classifications if they're calling this a Kolsch style.

I agree, especially because of the yeast. The addition/substitution of honey sounds good, wihtout breaking the rules too badly....but the switch to an american wheat yeast.....I dunno.

-Todd

I want to pitch another batch onto the Koslch yeast cake in my primary after I rack it to the secondary. Im planning something generic like 5lbs of DME and 2 lbs of raw wild honey (from a friend who keeps bees) is this enough honey to add flavor or is it just going to ferment out and leave only alc. I would add honey malt, but I have munich, melanoidin, and light crystal around already probably steep a quarter of each or something.

Back