priming danger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpt222

Reaction score
I recently bottled a batch of beer that was supposed to yield 5 gallons. I used the standard 5 oz. priming sugar that the kit provided and mixed in the predissolved sugar to the bottling bucket. Turns out I only got about 4.1 gallons bottled due to leaving behind sediments.

So my question is at what point will the amount of priming sugar used create a bottle bomb danger?

BTW, my final gravity was spot on...

You should be alright. For me, when I bottled, I used 3/4 cup of corn sugar and that was always a bit less than 5 Ounces. So to add 5 Oz to a 4.1 gallon batch might be on the edge. I'd recommend conditioning the bottles at your normal temp, but test the bottles a few days sooner than you might otherwise.

If the bottles appear to be carbing up to fast, get them cooeld down to slow things and maybe chill to serving temp to halt the carbing.

If y ou find that the beer is way over carb'd, post back and we can deal with that then.

This is my first batch of beer, so I really don't know when carbonation is typically complete. When should I pop one open to check the carbonation? It's only been about 3 days since i bottled.

I just hate to be freaked out and worry about whether my bottles will explode. Is this enough to make the bottles explode?

no! don't worry! Just wait a week or so and put one in the fridge and then try it, as HB_99 suggested. You should be fine, but the beer might be slightly overcarbed.

Whew! Thanks, all, for the advice and helping me not be freaked out. I'd like to just RDWHAHB, but this is my first batch...sorry couldn't resist. I suppose if it's overcarbed I'll just have to deal with it.

I hear you. I had to call my SIL over to "hold my hand" when I brewed my first batch (he only had 3 batches under his belt at the time).

13 years later and he's asking me for advice...(he quit brewing 11 years ago), but recently took it back up again...must of had something to do with the Nut Brown Ale kit I got him for Christmas...hmmm??? ;)

dpt222 said:
Whew! Thanks, all, for the advice and helping me not be freaked out. I'd like to just RDWHAHB, but this is my first batch...sorry couldn't resist. I suppose if it's overcarbed I'll just have to deal with it.
The other thing is...don't freak out if the beer is absolutely flat after a week...even after two weeks.

For me, sure fire carbonation occurs right at 21 days when the bottles are stored at 70 degrees.

Anything much sooner, or anything much cooler, and you're next post will be asking why your beer is flat. :D

Back