Three new beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I bought three new (to me) beers tonight.
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Old Rasputin RIS
Fran's... Ur-Weiss (dark wheat beer that isnt called a dunkel for some reason)

Drinking at a brew day tomorrow. Will report back Monday with my uneducated critique.

Correction. It was an Ayinger Ur-Weisse. I had a hard time deciding between three dark wheat beers, and got confused on which I bought.

Ok, first was the Ayinger's.
Nice beer. But closer to a hefeweizen than a dunkel. It was a golden brown color. The banana flavor was fairly prominent, and finished with the clove 'bite'. Was maltier than say, a Paulaner Heffe. But was not malty like I expected a dunkel to be. If I was looking to a half Dunkel, half Heffe, this is the beer I'd buy. I'll be picking up the Franz Dunkel

Edit to add: I just read some reviews of this beer and they were very high. No one seemed to mention the lighter than propper color. So I pulled up the BJCP color guide to check. BJCP says a Dunkel should be between 14 and 23. It may have been a 13. But I think it was even lighter than that. Darker than the 9, but...
colorguide.png

Old Rasputin RIS.
I hated it. But I hated it the way I hate stouts. Duh!
It was way too much of the roasted bitterness. I was having trouble tasting the malt through the bitterness and alcohol. The alcohol taste was definately present, strangley so, but not unpleasant. I could feel the hops on my tongue, but couldn't really taste them.
I can see why this is a highly touted beer, but it was not one I would try again.

Did not get to the Dead Guy Ale. We started drinking homebrew instead. I'll throw in my uneducated opinion on that one as well after I drink it. (I have high hopes!)

The Rogue Dead Guy was one of the worst beers I've ever had. The hops were spicy (and I've recently learned I dislike spicy hops), and it was much more bitter than advertised. There was also an astringency very similar to orange pity.

At 6.5% ABV it had more of an alcohol taste than I expected. It was reminiscent of some whiskeys. I wonder if I was tasting moss used in the brew process?

Next on the list are a few more dunkel weisses, a milk stout, and a Scottish ale other than a wee heavy.

Picked up a 12 pack of Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy last night. The reviews say it's super sweet, so I think I'll like it. A wheat beer with lemonade and blackberry juice? What's not to like!
Will report back tomorrow or Friday with my thoughts

The lemon berry shandy was good. Wasn't what I expected but I liked it. It was actually the first beer I've ever drank where the bottom of the glass tasted better than the beginning.

My first taste was from the bottle. It was rather non descript beer like, BMC like. Then I remembered I'm trying to taste the beer and not choke it down so I got a glass. I poured 1/2 the beer into the glass then swirled the bottle and poured the rest. In the glass it tasted much more like a hefe. The lemon taste came brought like citrus hops more than lemonade and the berry was just barely there.
I wish the berry was more prominent. Also wish there was a more aggressive sweetness to accent the berry. Overall a good beer and I'm glad I bought it and have no problems with having 11 more to drink.

Shock Top berry wheat
Strange and unbalanced. It was a decent wheat beer followed by berry. The two flavors were very seperate. Don't mind drinking it, but won't search it out.

Also had some of Stone's Chipotle Porter.

Not bad. The roasted qualities were more warming than the harsh burnt flavor I associate with porters and stouts. The chipotle was just barely noticable, and only as an aftertaste, but was quite pleasant.

Franziskaner (I know I spelled that wrong!) hefeweizen: Very similar to the Paulaner, but had an acidic quality I didn't like. Decent beer, would drink again, but would choose a Paulaner over it if the choice was there.

Joseph Brau Dunkelweissen: Not good. Very interesting, and I will be sharing some with friends to get their oinion. It was made with roasted wheat and sarmalized wheat according to the label. The roasted wheat really came through! It was basically a wheat porter, or a porter brewed with hef yeast.

The smell was nice!!! Heavy banana, fairly sweet, and just a little roasty.
The flavor was too roasty for me. It dominated the palate and left no room for other flavors. I have a feeling that someone who likes both hefeweizens and roasty porters will enjoy this beer. It just wasn't for me though.

Latest posts

Back