whirlock vs irish moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're basically the same thing. Whirlfloc is just processed and pressed into tablet form so it's easy to use and measure. For 5.5 gallon batches, I use 1/2 tab of Whirlfloc with 15 minutes to go in the boil.

I can tell a difference in my beers with and without it. My beers clear much faster if I can remember to throw it in.

Yes, they are the same thing. However, Whirlfloc works great for me, Irish moss not so much. I have no clue why this should be!

I had good results with patience

Great results with Irish Moss.

My first whirlfloc brew was last night, but it looks like it behaves similarly to the Irish Moss so far.

This is from the midwest website. Note the manufacturer's dosage and timing instructions, as it's different from what a lot of other sources recommend.

"Whirlfloc Tablets are an enhanced blend of Irish Moss and purified carrageenan that aids in the coagulation and settling of haze-producing proteins and beta glucans. Use one tablet per 10 gallon batch (For 5 gallon batches, cut a tablet in half. Adding a whole tablet won't really gain you anything), and add it with 5 minutes remaining in the boil. Yes, 5 minutes is correct. According to the manufacturer, if Whirlfloc is in the boil for any longer than 10 minutes, the active ingredients become denatured and therefore will not do their job. Size:10 tablets."​

I always had a hint of chill haze with Irish moss, but about 3 or 4 years ago I switched to whirlfloc and it's been a big improvement. I get a better cold break than ever, and super clear beer without any other finings.

I have only used whirlfloc, it is simple to toss in one tab. I like it. I have little doubt irish moss works just as well, I prefer the convenience.

I always had a hint of chill haze with Irish moss, but about 3 or 4 years ago I switched to whirlfloc and it's been a big improvement. I get a better cold break than ever, and super clear beer without any other finings.

Ah! Sweet confirmation! I thought it was only me! :eek:

This is from the midwest website. Note the manufacturer's dosage and timing instructions, as it's different from what a lot of other sources recommend.

"Whirlfloc Tablets are an enhanced blend of Irish Moss and purified carrageenan that aids in the coagulation and settling of haze-producing proteins and beta glucans. Use one tablet per 10 gallon batch (For 5 gallon batches, cut a tablet in half. Adding a whole tablet won't really gain you anything), and add it with 5 minutes remaining in the boil. Yes, 5 minutes is correct. According to the manufacturer, if Whirlfloc is in the boil for any longer than 10 minutes, the active ingredients become denatured and therefore will not do their job. Size:10 tablets."​

Interesting. I was using Whirlfoc at 10 minutes per the instruction I had. I'm going to try 5 and see if I get even better results.
Pez.

Pezman1 said:
Interesting. I was using Whirlfoc at 10 minutes per the instruction I had. I'm going to try 5 and see if I get even better results.
Pez.

I toss in at 15 and can't complain about the final clarity. But I also get a really good hot and cold breaks.

I've used irish moss a ton - used to be the only thing we had. IMO it works but not like whirlfloc. This was the first time I used it. I took a pic because I thought something was wrong! I did a fairly light amber beer, but right after I got it into the carboy it formed this dark stormcloud formation inside that looked almost black. Ten minutes later, this whole mess dropped to the bottom like a rock. Beer came out great. I was hooked. I usually do it at 10 min with the yeast nutrient.

IMAG0044_scaled.jpg

I'm surprised by the instruction of adding at 5 minutes. My container clearly states 15 minutes..I'll try five next time for the heck of it. I've also had great results with Whirfloc, though I switched to the tablets the same weekend I went all-grain so I was never really sure if it was just the whirfloc or not.

Half a whirlfloc tab for me for 5.5 gallon brews. I've always added @ 15 min per instructions, will also try 5 for the next one. No chill haze since I've started using it. Reminds me to order another jar in a few weeks.

You can see everything drop out quite nicely. My hydrometer sample jars end up very clear if you give it 5-10 minutes to drop.

I always forget the finings. And the yeast nutrient. I know I should just put them in with my IC, but for some reason I always cleanup after a brewday and look at a lone whirfloc tab sitting on the counter.

Anyone know if I can boil it up for 5 minutes the next day and add the solution to my fermenter?

I've used irish moss a ton - used to be the only thing we had. IMO it works but not like whirlfloc. This was the first time I used it. I took a pic because I thought something was wrong! I did a fairly light amber beer, but right after I got it into the carboy it formed this dark stormcloud formation inside that looked almost black. Ten minutes later, this whole mess dropped to the bottom like a rock. Beer came out great. I was hooked. I usually do it at 10 min with the yeast nutrient.

Ahhhhhhh.....blowoff tubes. I wish more would use them..... Yeah, I know... completely off-topic.......:)
Pez.

^ speaking of off topic (or as I like to call it; "organic thread drift"
Does anyone have any ideas about adding whirfloc the next day by boiling it and adding to the fermentor?

Any downside to this?

^ speaking of off topic (or as I like to call it; "organic thread drift"
Does anyone have any ideas about adding whirfloc the next day by boiling it and adding to the fermentor?

Any downside to this?

Not 100% sure of this, but I believe the finings/moss/whirlfloc AND the wort both have to be at boiling temps in order to work .

Pez.

Back