Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jumped in on the FB-DMUN (Dark Munich). Just need the last 1/3.

Awesome!

Here is what is still open:

Grain:
BD-RSTB - Needs 1 - 1/4
CM-RYEM - Needs 1 - 1/4
TF-CHOC - Needs 1 - 1/3
TF-AMBR - Needs 1 - 1/3
BD-BLCK - Needs 2 - 1/4
GW-C150 - Needs 2 - 1/4
GP-FLOAT - Needs 2 - 1/3
FB - DMUN - Needs 1 - 1/3
GW-C30 - Needs 2 - 1/4
GW-C60 - Needs 2 - 1/4

Chem:
5S-PBW50 - Needs 1 - 1/4

Awesome!

Here is what is still open:

Grain:
BD-RSTB - Needs 1 - 1/4
CM-RYEM - Needs 1 - 1/4
TF-CHOC - Needs 1 - 1/3
TF-AMBR - Needs 1 - 1/3
BD-BLCK - Needs 2 - 1/4
GW-C150 - Needs 2 - 1/4
GP-FLOAT - Needs 2 - 1/3
FB - DMUN - Needs 1 - 1/3
GW-C30 - Needs 2 - 1/4
GW-C60 - Needs 2 - 1/4

Chem:
5S-PBW50 - Needs 1 - 1/4

I just finished out the FB-DMUN.

Smashing said:
What other grains are good to have around? I'll be set on 2 row, c60, roasted, chocolate and now rye.

Marris Otter.
Marris Otter.

Did I mention Marris Otter? :)

Also Vienna, Munich.
Maybe some lighter crystal, eg c15?
Carapils or wheat for head retention?

What other grains are good to have around? I'll be set on 2 row, c60, roasted, chocolate and now rye.

I'd say carapils (can be used in a lot of styles), but it depends on what you like to brew.

If you like stouts, hefes, witbier etc. (flaked oats, FLwheat; FL barley)

I use a fair amount of C40, C80 and C120 too.

If you are asking about what from the split list... TF-AMBR? :D

I might be in for quite a bit more soon.. :p..

This is on a sad note.. :( i just lost my job so if i cant find a job in the next month or tow down here ill be moving home.. and brewing up a ton like i was before!~

Marris Otter.
Marris Otter.

Did I mention Marris Otter? :)

Also Vienna, Munich.

I have MO on this order. Never used it so I just went with one bag.

I'd say carapils (can be used in a lot of styles), but it depends on what you like to brew.

If you like stouts, hefes, witbier etc. (flaked oats, FLwheat; FL barley)

I use a fair amount of C40, C80 and C120 too.

If you are asking about what from the split list... TF-AMBR? :D

I brew all ales. No lagers. I love pales, IPA and stouts. Need to try a porter. Oh, no wheat beers either. Wouldn't mind trying a dark mild....

Smashing said:
Other than a pilsner, what do you use pils in?

I've only started brewing with it, but...

You can use it as a base malt in basically any German or Belgian style. So wheat beers, rye beers, or German Alt (warm fermented) and bock (lagered), and Belgian dubbels, tripels, saison, etc.

Other than a pilsner, what do you use pils in?

I have used it in Belgian goldens, dubbels; hefes (regular and dunkels), witbier, altbier (amber ale), pilsners lager of course; Belgian specialty ale (coming up in a few weeks); sam adams summer ale clone - to name a few.

You can use pils in place of 2 row pretty much in any case, but you will get more malty character. So you ahve to keep that in mind.

Empire Brewing in armory square uses pilsner malt for all of their beers. I had had a hard time trying to get them to use UK pale malt for my bitter.

Empire Brewing in armory square uses pilsner malt for all of their beers. I had had a hard time trying to get them to use UK pale malt for my bitter.

Yeah thats what I've heard about EBC.

Also for any recipe that uses a large amount of pils, make sure to boil for 90 mins to help boil off DMS. Also dont boil with a lid on either.

So pils malt is more malty? Is it a large jump?

On another note, did a pick up for this buy get decided on?

I think it really depends on the recipe. I can taste a difference, in a very good way, between 2row and pilsner in my summer ale clone. I would say it is likely hard to tell in some dark or very hoppy brews because so much is going on that it won't stand out as much. If empire uses it for everything, that pretty much says it.

Pick up location hasn't been decided on yet.

anyone have any experience with the GW-2ROW vs the GW-PALE? I prefer american 2row and it appears that the GW-2row is the best bet, but just curious of other people experiences.

thanks!

once Jeff adds my order we should be around 75 bags.

thanks for keeping me in the loop Jeff!

once Jeff adds my order we should be around 75 bags.

thanks for keeping me in the loop Jeff!

Added a bunch for my buddy, and another co-worker.

Total at 76 bags/chems out of 84

Cidah, should we stop at 82 bags? Just in-case so we don't accidently go over the 2 pallet limit? Let me know at what number you want me to lock the spreadsheet from being edited by anyone.

Jeff B

Holy horse **** batman, I can't keep up with this thread or this buy anymore. I have obviously not been brewing enough-- or drinking enough since I'm keg limited now. You crazy bastards!

How much is the 2 row I'd be coming from buffalo wanted to make sure it's worth it

The price is going to vary based on shipping, etc. Looking at the spreadsheet, it estimates just shy of $35 for a 55# sack of CM-2ROW. That's about $0.64 per pound. If I were you I'd buy a few sacks. :mug:

In all seriousness, I think I get the award as I travel from east of Albany for this. With these group buys, reusing yeast, and getting hops in quantity (under $1/oz), my typical 5 gallon batch costs less than $15. For instance, my last batch was a Sierra Nevada Celebration clone. With new yeast (which I will be able to re-use a couple of generations), brewsmith says my cost was $13.82 (plus propane). So pretty close to $15 figuring the propane, co2, StarSan, and assuming I amortize the cost of the yeast ($4) over a few batches. It sucks drinking craft beer for 29 cents per beer. :)

If we close all open splits, we will be at 82 total items. So if anyone wants to jump on a split... this may be your last shot. I predict by tomorrow night we will be closed.

If we close all open splits, we will be at 82 total items. So if anyone wants to jump on a split... this may be your last shot. I predict by tomorrow night we will be closed.

Unless we go for 3! (pallets that is.)

Cida, I see you have BD-MOPA vs. the TF-MOPA. Any reason?

Edit: Added another sack of TF-MOPA.

SACKS = 75 (Plus 2 Chemical)==> 77

Should we try for three pallets or wait to close before we know where this thing is going to be shipped to? I could probably add another 10+ sacks no problem but it just depends where I need to pick it up from.

Should we try for three pallets or wait to close before we know where this thing is going to be shipped to? I could probably add another 10+ sacks no problem but it just depends where I need to pick it up from.

3 pallets might be a nightmare. We already have 18 people picking up on this sale, and a price tag of over $3500. But its up to Cidah and who ever is taking the delivery. They are gonna have to manage it, including counting all the bags when they first arrive.

Jeff

Anyone wanna go in on a bag of pils or honey? I could go up to a 1/3 on either of those. Didn't add it to the sheet since there's a bunch of open splits and we're close to closing the buy.

THIRD PALLET

I am thinking we should shoot for a third pallet. when we get to two pallets we should:
1. take a snap shot of the amounts and who has them.
2. keep the buy moving forward and we can continue on with the buy until it a. fizzles out, or until a set date.

Last time I think I calculated that just over half a pallet made sense with shipping. That would mean we would shoot for a minimum of 109 out of 126 bags to close 3 pallets. Truthfully it looks like we are getting widespread interest that could push us to fill 3 pallets, which would probably lead to our cheapest shipping rate since I started up these buys!! :D

I can play with the numbers and let people know what I think makes sense (filling half a pallet etc.)

Sounds good?

I mean if bierhaus thinks he can get 10 and we get another couple waves of buys I think that we can not only step up into the cheaper prices for the grain, but get a really good deal on shipping.

In short, the more we get coming at us the better the price shipping per bag will be, and the price per lb for the grain.

KEEP THE GRAIN COMING GUYS

smashing throw those splits up if you want - let's go for the long haul on this one.

How much is the 2 row I'd be coming from buffalo wanted to make sure it's worth it

Good to have you along for the ride!

Price for 2row should be like ~$30 a bag. If you get a few bags and possibly coordinate with another person from your area it is well worth it. If you jump in on splits you save a ton of money for the specialty grains you use to brew as well.

** if you put your name into the order sheet on post 2 you can add a bag of 2row (or other bags of grain) and see the estimate price.**

"We buy directly through NCM - this means that we will get true wholesale bulk pricing!
~$30 2Row + shipping (~$4-6)
~$40 Marris Otter + shipping (~$4-6)
"

anyone have any experience with the GW-2ROW vs the GW-PALE? I prefer american 2row and it appears that the GW-2row is the best bet, but just curious of other people experiences.

thanks!

Strecker - good to have you along.

I would say the flavor is negligible. Sometimes NCM is out of GW2row so we have to substitute with CM 2row.

Truthfully the only reason I now alwys buy CM2row is that it comes in a 55lb bag and I have had really good results with it.

If you have more questions let us know

Holy horse **** batman, I can't keep up with this thread or this buy anymore. I have obviously not been brewing enough-- or drinking enough since I'm keg limited now. You crazy bastards!

Haha indeed! I would say that after this one closes up it will be 2-3 months before we do another buy. So if you plan on brewing a lot you may want to grab a bag or two ;);)

abrew2u said:

I'll be making the trip from Buffalo for my pickup too. I have a few bags on order. It seemed that as long as I was getting more than one bag, it would be more cost effective to do this. And like it was mentioned earlier, it would be worth it to coordinate a pickup.

I'll be making the trip from Buffalo for my pickup too. I have a few bags on order. It seemed that as long as I was getting more than one bag, it would be more cost effective to do this. And like it was mentioned earlier, it would be worth it to coordinate a pickup.

I am sure you guys can work something out. One thing that continually amazes me about these buys is the willingness of good people to help each other out, even when they have never met each other. A little help goes a long way in really making the grain buys work and save us all a ton of money.

THIRD PALLET

I am thinking we should shoot for a third pallet. when we get to two pallets we should:
1. take a snap shot of the amounts and who has them.
2. keep the buy moving forward and we can continue on with the buy until it a. fizzles out, or until a set date.

Last time I think I calculated that just over half a pallet made sense with shipping. That would mean we would shoot for a minimum of 109 out of 126 bags to close 3 pallets. Truthfully it looks like we are getting widespread interest that could push us to fill 3 pallets, which would probably lead to our cheapest shipping rate since I started up these buys!! :D

I can play with the numbers and let people know what I think makes sense (filling half a pallet etc.)

Sounds good?

I mean if bierhaus thinks he can get 10 and we get another couple waves of buys I think that we can not only step up into the cheaper prices for the grain, but get a really good deal on shipping.

In short, the more we get coming at us the better the price shipping per bag will be, and the price per lb for the grain.

KEEP THE GRAIN COMING GUYS

smashing throw those splits up if you want - let's go for the long haul on this one.

The big question, where is this being delivered?

The big question, where is this being delivered?

Short answer is TBD; Syracuse area.

Longer answer:
As I noted before, I will keep everyone apprised as I figure that part out. It is possible that we may have a place of business to deliver to, which would save significantly on shipping. If not it will have to be my house or somewhere else. If my house it will add residence shipping charges to the bill (I am trying to avoid that). Either way the price on the grain will be very good, and as stated in the estimates.

As I also said before, if I am taking this in at my house I would like to push it out into February as much as possible to avoid snow delivery. I also need to clean my garage up a bit to accept this much grain.

Back