Concentrate vs. Non-concentrate grape juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r3bol

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to make some wine from grape juice. I searched the forums and found only recipes that use grape juice concentrate, but the only grape juice I can find says its 'not from concentrate'. It only has grape juice as the ingredients so there are no additives I guess.

So my question. If I'm making the wine from this type of juice, how much sugar (if any) should I add, and are nutrients required if I'm using grape juice?

Thanks.

Hi, I would like to make some wine from grape juice. I searched the forums and found only recipes that use grape juice concentrate, but the only grape juice I can find says its 'not from concentrate'. It only has grape juice as the ingredients so there are no additives I guess.

So my question. If I'm making the wine from this type of juice, how much sugar (if any) should I add, and are nutrients required if I'm using grape juice?

Thanks.

Many of these "country wines" that use the grape juice concentrate are from a winemaking product that is wine grape juice, concentrated, and used to give body and fermentables to wine. That would be like buying fresh wine grape juice, not a product meant for drinking juice, if that makes sense. An example is in my chokecherry wine.

For the wines made out of grape juice, like the Welch's recipe, you can use regular "not from concentrate" juice if you want. The key is looking at the ingredients- many of those fresh juices have preservatives like sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate, so they won't ferment. That's why I use the frozen Welch's juice, it doesn't have those preservatives because it's frozen.

Thanks. It's a shame I don't have access to frozen juice here (Europe). The stuff I have says...
White grape juice -- Fruit content: 100% -- No artificial flavorings, preservatives, or colors. No added sugar. Contains naturally occurring sugars.
...so I guess it would ferment, but maybe the way it was extracted might make it less suitable for fermenting with.

I'll try the Welch's recipe like you said then, and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

I think its funny that you are sad that you can only find fresh products and not processed crap we get here in the states.

Two Beer or not Two Beer

I think the problem with buying the fresh stuff in europe (or at least in the uk where I am) is the ridiculous prices you have to pay.

True, didn't think of that. I make Mead all the time but the honey prices are killing me.

Two Beer or not Two Beer

Back