First timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobber12

Reaction score
First time making cider and I have some questions. I sterilized a 5 gallon bucket yesterday at approximately 4 pm est and added 3.5 gallons of pasteurized cider with no preservatives and added 1 packet of yeast with 1.5 cups of sugar. The bucket was kept in my basement over night where I'm unsure of the exact temperature. Today (24 hrs+ later) the airlock was not bubbling at all so I moved it upstairs approximately 70 degrees F. My question is how long should I wait on the airlock to move? Is something wrong? Is this batch wasted? What should I do now?

patience.... should kick off pretty soon. make sure there is a good seal on the lid or you will be faked out

Don't remember the exact brand name of yeast but I know it was champagne yeast.

How long do you normally wait to move it into your secondary, and how long does it normally stay there once moved?

How long do you normally wait to move it into your secondary, and how long does it normally stay there once moved?

I will keg my Apfelwein anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks and it stays in the keg (bulk aging) till consumed. I do not use a secondary.

So I talked to a guy the other day that said champagne yeast can ferment past the desired level because of its ability to withstand high alcohol concentrations. I took a reading today just to see where it was at and the reading didn't really seem to move at all... I did notice a crack in the top of the hydrometer and was wonder if this affected anything at all or if I just am not taking the reading correctly to start with... My airlock has been popping now for a couple days so I'm sure its doing something. Just looking for a little direction here as to when I should consider stopping the fermentation. I pitched the yeast on October 5th. Airlock has been going since the 7th I believe.

Back