Homebrewer Ben Starr, finalist on Tv's Master Chef season 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else think that consolation prize was a little un-subtly self-promoting? A year's worth of free MasterChef™ cooking classes, which anyone can take (hint hint) but for you it's free!

Yeah...that segment just felt way to weird and "stilted" as he was clearing reading a telepromptor for that. I'm surprised he didn't suggest a website for "more information."

The hell is this crap?

As of August 15, 2011 customers of DISH Network will be the first to access new episodes of FOX shows online; all other online viewers will be able to watch 8 days after the episode airs. DISH Network is the first TV provider to launch with this feature but more are coming soon.

The hell is this crap?

Yeah, that's the new shift in online streaming. For right now the shows are on Hulu. But now that the networks realize that people are watching online instead of on tv- the cable/dish provides are cutting theses sorts of deals. Because obviously if we watch tv on the internet, we're cutting the cable/satellite providers out of the loop.

And if the provider owns the network or channel, their going to do it to their own first.

It's sort of like if the USPS cut a deal with email providers that in order to get email you'd have to type in your zip code everytime, and they charged you.

Hulu has started a premium service with a monthly fee as well. Certain programs are only available to those who pay.

Yeah, that's the new shift in online streaming. For right now the shows are on Hulu. But now that the networks realize that people are watching online instead of on tv- the cable/dish provides are cutting theses sorts of deals. Because obviously if we watch tv on the internet, we're cutting the cable/satellite providers out of the loop.

And if the provider owns the network or channel, their going to do it to their own first.

It's sort of like if the USPS cut a deal with email providers that in order to get email you'd have to type in your zip code everytime, and they charged you.

Hulu has started a premium service with a monthly fee as well. Certain programs are only available to those who pay.

Looks like I'll be watching less TV then. I'm already on the verge of cancelling cable (as soon as I can convince the wife).

Hulu, Netflix and a digital antenna and we've got all we need.

Except now Netflix has that "two tiered" membership thing going on, and Hulu is pushing a lot of programming on the paid side, and the digital over the air signal in my area is pretty wonky sometimes, but that's pretty much what I use, at least the antenna and Hulu free.

Except now Netflix has that "two tiered" membership thing going on, and Hulu is pushing a lot of programming on the paid side, and the digital over the air signal in my area is pretty wonky sometimes, but that's pretty much what I use, at least the antenna and Hulu free.

Yeah, I was a little irked about the Netflix shift, but it's still cheaper than cable. I don't watch Hulu too often (SWMBO does much more than I do), and I guess widely available signal is another perk of life in the east coast megalopolis. I get full signal from two major cities, and more channels free over the air than I used to have to pay for with cable (prior to digital, that is). Only thing lacking is sports coverage.

I do, however, get Fox over the air from multiple sources so watching Master Chef isn't a problem:mug:

But wasn't watching Ramsey strip it down so fast really amazing? Made me want to learn to do it. He was effortless.

It's fun seeing it done so well. I wish I was able to do that so effortlessly.
It's all about practice, practice and more practice.

Now the fish guy next door at the Chinese market, he has MAD skills. :rockin:

Way to go Ben! Watching it on tivo right now... First thought meatloaf with those mystery box ingredients but when you said shepard's pie, I knew you were in. Ugh... What next? :)

Ben, SWMBO made the pumpkin carrot cake today and it was terrific! It is officially my favorite cake. In the words of my daughter, "Thank you, Ben Starr!"

IMG_20110809_192852.jpg

I have to say also that my daughter hates carrot cake...

Awe dang Ben. SWMBO and I were pulling for you. Great run and thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us. Now someone kick f'n Christian off!

Sorry Ben.

For what it's worth, every single year for my birthday when I was young, I made my mom make shepherd's pie. One of my favorite meals ever. Glad you nailed it.

Riffety, riffety, riff-raff!
Chiffity, chiffity, chiff-chaff!
Riff-raff! Chiff-chaff!
Let’s give ‘em a horse laugh:
Sssssss!

strat_thru_marshall said:
brutal. the dude with the raw venison shoulda been cut.

I totally agree. I thought for sure Adrian did a worse job than Ben.

Shucks darn! Sonofab&$@

MeatyPortion said:
Looks like I'll be watching less TV then. I'm already on the verge of cancelling cable (as soon as I can convince the wife).

Amen Brother, we just cut way back on our programming and I can't say I miss it much at all.

Damn! The boys and I have been rootin' for you.

Congrats for making so far with so much class!

Great Job Ben! What a run! You did so well and really showed your character throughout the competition.

Beers are on me buddy!

Great Job Ben! What a run! You did so well and really showed your character throughout the competition.

Beers are on me buddy!

yep, ben can take solace that no matter what he conducted himself in an upright way. We all want to win and im sure you had your duality of man off-camera, but you showed great humility on the show!

watched the show for the first time tonight because of this thread.

Great job getting this far Ben, and sorry you didn't make it further!

Nice exit but I thought you were going to pick jennifer to win. You should be very proud of yourself. Great job

Good job Ben, sorry to see you go. I lost the bet with my wife... I had my money on you to take it all... my wife is rooting for Jen. Irregardless of the outcome, I hope this helps you take it to the next level.

Dang Ben, I don't know what to say except Aww Shoot!. Top 5 is still very impressive of the thousands that tried out for the show. I have been rooting for you since the first episode aired. I can't agree with your pick for the winner, as I am gonna pick Jen now. Adrian and Suzy just seem to be all over the place and Christian is just too arrogant for the judges to let him have it. We will see how it all shakes out.

The show wont be the same without your mug on there but I wish you the best in wherever this takes you now. Don't give up on your dreams and keep us posted on whats going on in the life of Ben Starr. Here's a mug for you!:mug:

Latest posts

Back