Second diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tackucack

Reaction score
I'm in the process of my first Schwarzbier and I have a question regarding the diacetyl rest. I pitched my yeast close to a month ago, then fermented at 50 (in my awesome new fermentation chamber!). A week and a half ago I pulled my carboys out and let them sit for 48 hours at 65 for the diacetyl rest. Before I transferred to the secondary I noticed they were still putting off quite a bit of CO2. So.. I got on the forums, found that I was still fermenting, and I put them back in at 50.

My question is, when I finally do go to my secondary, should I perform another rest?

Thanks!

Should have checked the SG to verify the activity was due to fermentation as opposed to temperature increase.

Do you detect any diacetyl in your beer now?

What could a second d-rest possibly hurt?

I'm on my first helles and in similar boat. Fermented at 49-50 for 2 weeks, let rise to 68* for about 10 hours, racked to secondary then stuck it in a fridge at 40-44. The yeast has settled out but I wonder if it finished doing it's thing or if I rushed it. Did the diacetyl test and didn't get diacetyl.

I think it won't hurt to do a second rest before you bottle/keg. I'm letting mine rise for a couple days until space frees up.

it was finishing up the last of its fermentation in the mid 60's? you probably didn't need (or want) to put it back down to 50 degrees, I'd pull it back out and finish the d-rest. What's it smell/taste like, buttery?

The good news, I find that when I bottle lagers it's almost like giving them a second d-rest while they carb up in the closet.

it was finishing up the last of its fermentation in the mid 60's? you probably didn't need (or want) to put it back down to 50 degrees, I'd pull it back out and finish the d-rest. What's it smell/taste like, buttery?

The good news, I find that when I bottle lagers it's almost like giving them a second d-rest while they carb up in the closet.

I'd have to agree. From what I've read and done with my last lager just let the fermentation finish at the higher temp. The high temp helps the yeast consume the diacetyl.

Back