Move or not to move

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komodo

Reaction score
I've got a first-year Centennial in a place that isn't getting much sun, and its still really small. Maybe 4-5 inches, but lots of leaves. There is another great sunny spot directly under my trellis where one Santiam didn't make it. Should i move the Centennial?

Having never grown them before, i wonder just how big the roots are now, and if i move it, is 4 feet is too close to the other Santiam plant?

My others ones are at least 4 feet or more, all first - year planted at the same time.

I would hold off. From what i know hops will find the sun or you could just lead them in that direction rather than digging them up.

If you move the plant at this time you'll put it under a lot of stress. Sure it will grow but will expend a ton of energy just trying to survive. That energy could have been going into the crown so you'll have a good year next season. If you leave it alone two things can happen. 1) It may just be a little slower developing than the others and may surprise you by the end of the season. 2) As long as it has a decent bit of foliage it may not grow too tall but the leaves act like solar panels and do a tremendous job converting sunlight into carbohydrates which will be stored in the crown. I would just let it be and once it dies back you can move it this Fall or next Spring. Good luck either way.

+1 on leaving it.

I planted a cascade last spring and it was puny compared to my established plants, it started slow and produced 0.5 oz of hops. This year it is thick and bushy!

Remember she is gathering all the sun she can and growing roots, let her be. A scorned woman is a vengeful woman!

You patience and a year will pay off.

I would move a first year plant to the proper location sooner rather than later. Any plant that doesn't get the proper amount of sun it requires, causes it to become "leggy" and produce less "fruit". It should be a very easy move. I don't know why we think of plants as a fragile piece of heirloom china? Plants are tough and can withstand a proper transplant. I will move, annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, etc. any time of the year but I use caution. Make sure you get adequate amount of soil and water it in when your done.

Back