Poolside Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Yeah, the heavy pint glass rocks. INDOORS.

But what in the Sam Hill do you put your brew in when you are out in the sun?

I've found that in less than 4 minutes in a colored plastic glass, any beer becomes skunk.

Anybody know of a solution to this problem that is safe if dropped where people walk barefoot?

just suck from the tap and leave the glass out all together j/j I have often wondered this myself and thought of using those aluminum bottle looking things sold with beer in them. I guess you would call it an aluminum bottle I think Coors or Bud is starting to use them.
JJ

I drink pretty fast; this is not the issue.

I hide my plastic 12-16 oz. glasses in the pool-house.

Travel mugs sukk.

Looking for an enlightened approach to quaffing mass quantities without it smelling like good weed. :confused:

Thinking of a beer pavillion to hide it poolside in the shade, in lou (loo)? of other approaches.

How can there be no other positive options???

Stubbie holders?

...in Australia the further north you go the hotter it gets and the smaller the beers served get. 10oz,8oz,6oz... Basically the size of the glass equates to the amount of beer that you can drink prior to it getting warm. Ice is also used in the bottom of stubbie holders.

I keep a mess of thick glass mugs in the freezer which get a nice coating of insulating frost on them when I take them out. Gives me enough time to enjoy my beer without it getting too warm at all. The trick is to rotate mugs.

in lou (loo)? of other approaches
Lou is a man, and loo is a bathroom. I don't think you'd want to hide your beer in either of them. I think you meant lieu.

pfranco81 said:
I keep a mess of thick glass mugs in the freezer which get a nice coating of insulating frost on them when I take them out.
Awaiting the EAC comment...

Should I...?

As for enjoying beer in non-breakable-ware...I'm not sure I have a good solution for you. Even thick ceramic is still a no-no around the pool. Pewter seems like a good compromise. Friends of mine have some clear plastic pilsner glasses they use around the pool - I've never noticed a problem with skunky flavors.

pfranco81 said:
I seem to have made a faux pas, but I dont know what it was.

He's yanking your chain. Don't worry.
It's just one of those forum debates.
Ice cold vs cold vs cool vs 1degree over room temp beer.
Aluminum vs SS
Bleach
Real Ale
Is it Ok to drink BMC
etc.

Oh, well I don't drink my porters frosty, but if I'm sitting around the pool I'm not likely to be drinking a porter. I want my beers light and cold. "warm" beers aren't poolside beers. In my opinion at least.

no, he is not talking about the temperature of the beer, NEVER have a "frosty" glass... chilled, yes... frosty no! its like putting ice cubes in your beer, I almost killed my SWMBO when she put ice cubes in my beer for "****s and giggles"... it makes the beer go flat, and is just not cricket! (Australian slang)... it means you just dont do it... frosty is BAD, chilled is GOOD!

As for an idea on what to do, over here we have either stubby holders...

DSCN1592.JPG

or, get one of the plastic mugs that are double walled, and inside the 2 walls is the same fluid they put in ice packs, you pop it in the freezer, the stuff freezes between the walls, you take it out, fill with beer and in essence have an "ice blanket" around the beer....

redsox%20freezer%20mug.jpg

:mug:

Called 'Coozies' or 'Koozies' here, Kadmium.

Actually, not a bad option, as there are about two dozen laying around for boating, and there is usually a can or two in the 'returns' basket.

Yeah, glass I could operate safely, but between kids(adult), grandkids, flying pool toys and the dog(or dogs), breakables are a 'F uck!!' waiting to happen. I'm usually standing at poolside in the shallow end, (swim up bar without the stools) or pulling a draft from the Sanyo. Either way, the glass doesn't get far away from my hands.

pfranco81, you are correct, I didn't give it much thought.

Aluminum is a GREAT conductor of heat. It's a terrible choice for a drinking vessel. Ditto with pewter (though I'm sure it's better than aluminum). Glass is a great insulator. That means it retains hot and cold temps well. That's why it's so popular for glasses. Plastic is a great insulator too and you can do creative things with it (like the double walled mugs and stuff).

As far as I can tell, there is NO advantage to the aluminum bottles except that they encourage faster consumption by getting warm faster and weigh less, which will save on shipping costs.

Anyway, my pick for poolside use would be the ceramic mug. Yes, it can break if dropped forcefully, however, it doesn't shatter like glass and the pieces just aren't as sharp. I'd consider that to be an acceptable risk.

Unless I'm at a sporting event, I won't drink beer out of a plastic cup. FWIW, I was drinking Bell's Oberon out of a plastic cup at the Indy 500. I found that to be acceptable. ;)

Bottles or bottle shaped cans have one physical advantage over glasses-velocity.

You just can't get that velocity gulp from a glass type drinking vessel. ;)

One of those stainless or aluminum travel coffee mugs would probably work pretty well, especially for keeping beer cold. You could even drink through the lid like a sippy cup if you wanted to...or not :cross:

EDIT: I noticed above that "travel mugs suck", so just disregard this.

Hmm. Beer in anything plastic is just as bad as out of the bottle. If you ever do either you must immediately picture my avatar chasing you with a Machete.

zoebisch01 said:
Hmm. Beer in anything plastic is just as bad as out of the bottle. If you ever do either you must immediately picture my avatar chasing you with a Machete.

I have a special PLASTIC cup that is reserved for when I am craving a cheap malt licka. Bring on the machete. :ban:

I would really like to find a good solution to the poolside problem though. Especially since I broke a pilsner glass two days ago. :mad:

When you say "travel mugs suck", do you mean plastic ones?? I would think that the jumbo sized double walled SS ones would work great.

Of ocurse if you were really desparate you could spray the outside of a thick glass mug with white spray paint. lol

Kadmium hit it right on the nose. The double walled plastic mug. I have one exactly like that, that I use for just these types of occasions (of course it is not a Red Sox mug :) )

Stainless steel coffee travel mugs work well. They're insulated, and have thick tops for blocking the sun. Thereare some that hold like a quart at a time too.

:mug:

Those plastic freezer mugs are good, but they do tend to make the beer foam when pouring into them. They also only hold about 12 oz's.

Yeah, the jumbo sized SS travel mugs. I used to have one of those. They work great. now if I could only find the damn thing.

I have a few 12 oz SS mugs I guess I could use.

On hot sunny days, I've moved from drinking my HB to drinking Apfelwein. A little AW over ice in a plastic double walled tumbler works pretty well. Got me messed up a couple of weeks back. :drunk:
Not as bad of a hangover either.

Come to think of it, I got a pair of SS travel mugs for Xmas one year and offed them to a BIL. Can't remember if plastic or SS inside-bet I could get them back if I wanted.

YUP, drawing into a plastic anything is bigtime foam, and for WHATEVER reason it just ain't the same as glass or ceramic or metallic vessel- although I have no clue why...

Doesn't it seem that there would be a pool-specific marketed product for this, by now, from somebody? Geez, the entrepreneurial opportunities I let go by...:eek:

Don't have a picture, but here's what we did.

Take a tall beverage glass about the same diameter as a beer can.

Take two squishy foam koozies, coozies, cooly cups (whatever).

Place the glass inside the cooly cup. Cut enough of the other cooly cup to create a sleeve that extends up to within 1/2 inch of the top of the glass.

Beer stays ice-cold and if dropped, it's a lot less likely to break being encased in foam.

Cheap enough alternative that if it's not exactly what you want...no loss.

Hey has anyone else tried to drink cold water from a ceramic mug? It is probably psychological but it is different imo.

Back