Pressure treated lumber for hop trellis??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Hop

Reaction score
So, since my hops are starting to take off, I decided to build a trellis for them to climb. After the fact, I started wondering if the chemicals in the pressure treated wood would affect the hops. I imagine this stuff is toxic but not sure if it would have an effect on the hops that climb it. Does anyone have any input on this??

Thanks.

I don't think the chemicals (copper green, Don't know the actual chemical compound) can absorb into the plant. I would make sure the wood has dyed before using it.

Dunno about hops but it is recommend to NOT use pressure treated wood for raised bed vegetable gardens because of leaching of the chemicals.

Dunno about hops but it is recommend to NOT use pressure treated wood for raised bed vegetable gardens because of leaching of the chemicals.

chromated copper arsenate (CCA) is no longer used outside of marine applications, so as long as you don't try to re-purpose or recycle old pressure treated lumber, you should not encounter it.

I believe you are not allowed to use ANY chemically treated lumber if you want to be certified organic, but ACQ, MCQ, and CA treated lumber are not known to contain any toxic chemical according to the EPA last time I had looked into it.

chromated copper arsenate (CCA) is no longer used outside of marine applications, so as long as you don't try to re-purpose or recycle old pressure treated lumber, you should not encounter it.

I believe you are not allowed to use ANY chemically treated lumber if you want to be certified organic, but ACQ, MCQ, and CA treated lumber are not known to contain any toxic chemical according to the EPA last time I had looked into it.

+1 and a six.

I understood the reason for this is the preservatives would actually preserve your garden and therefore not grow, but I heard that 15 years ago when I worked in a garden center.

I understood the reason for this is the preservatives would actually preserve your garden and therefore not grow, but I heard that 15 years ago when I worked in a garden center.

15 years ago, it was bacause the treatment involved Arsenic.

Now it's a copper compound.

I used treated lumber for my hops last year. After 1 year of use it is really faded in color but I haven't noticed any adverse effects. I have also heard of a treated lumber wash that you can put on before treating/staining treated lumber to remove the chemicals from the exterior of the wood. It is supposed to give better adhesion to your top coat. Sorry I don't know the name of it.

Wow. 5+ years ago, when I built my raised bed veggie garden, the Home Depot folks didn't know their heads from their asses about this, so I just stayed away from the green treated lumber. You positive the green stuff today is CCA-free?

Hops are bines, not vines. They attach by winding and non-penetrating spikes. Vines attach by rooting into the wood and might absorb the treatment, but not hop bines.

Wow. 5+ years ago, when I built my raised bed veggie garden, the Home Depot folks didn't know their heads from their asses about this, so I just stayed away from the green treated lumber. You positive the green stuff today is CCA-free?

5+ years ago NOBODY knew **** about what was coming as the fasteners on market weren't compatible with the new proposed chemical solutions. A MAJOR concern for the housing and construction industry since every wood framed building has treated sills on every wall.

According to EPA laws, CCA is strictly prohibited except in very specific applications. Google it if you still don't believe.

I have worked for a wood treating facility now for 10 years. We still are able to treat wood with CCA. ( copper Chromium and Arsenic ) We can treat wood for agricultural use with CCA. Wood being used for playgrounds, decks, picnic tables, and anything that may be coming in contact with humans with MCA. ( Micronized Copper Azole ) We have been selling wood treated with CCA lately to new hop farms that have been starting up here in the northern part of Michigan. The comercial hop farmers here know they are getting CCA and dont seem to be concerned about. My professional opinion, and from what I have done at my own home, I see no problem with using pressure treated lumber in a garden or agricultural setting. That is just my 2 cents. Take it for what its worth. If you have any question about treated lumber feel free to ask me. I will do my best to answer your questions.

As far as for fasteners, there is some treatment chemicals on the market that will eat thru a standard fastener. You can tell if there is a concern when you by the lumber. On all treated lumber there is suppose to be a small 1" x 2.5" tag on the end of all boards. Look at this tag and look at the name of the chemicals being used. If anywhere on the tag it states there is Quaternary ammonium (Quat) you need to use a double dipped galvanized fastener.

Just to say it again. CCA ( copper Chromium and Arsenic ) is still widely used today in the wood treating industry. There is just regulation in place on where you can use it.

Back