Yeast and Cherry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
Hey--Any recommendations on what type of WL yeast I should use with this recipe I devised? It's an extract (liquid pale and wheat DME) with carapils and 20L crystal. The cherries will go in the secondary. I've looked around WL website and see that Bedford and European are good for fruit ales. My HBS recommends Belgian ale or American wheat. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Depends on what you want. If you want the banana/clove character of a German hefe, use a German hefe type yeast. The American wheat strains will give you a little of that character, but will finish much more neutral. A Belgian ale yeast will give you some of the banana aroma, along with possibly some bubblegum type aroma as well. Belgian yeasts can be "interesting".

I don't know much about the Bedford or European yeasts, but read up on them, and trust your gut!

Thanks Sam. I don't want to confuse the cherry flavor with banana/cloves, so I'm looking for something cleaner/milder. Like you, I'm unfamiliar with Euro and Bed. Will have to research. The American strains sound like what I might be after. Thanks for the tip!

I'ld go with the American ale yeast. But I've also brewed a pretty good wheat beer with the San Francisco lager yeast, if you can ferment under 65.

Decisions, decisions. I'll have to read up on the characteristics of each, plus the other mentioned ones...can't find fresh sour cherries now, so I am not in a rush (just impatient)...Thanks!

Good luck finding sour cherries.
It's a lost cause here in Vancouver, WA.
I may have to look into some sour cherry bushes.

Back