Help w/Longshot Wit Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Depot

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing the Cranberry Wit (though I'm changing it to Pomegranate) featured in the Longshot '08 pack but I'm a little confused regarding the hop/spicing schedule. Here are the pertinent portions as published by BYO:

Step by Step (All-Grain)
Bring wort to boil for 20 minutes then add sterling and golding hops. Two minutes later add a tea bag of biter orange, cinnamon, coriander, grains of paradise. Cool wort to around 70 °F (21 °C) and pitch yeast.

Extract option:
Boil 60 minutes. Add hops and spices at times indicated in the all-grain recipe.

I read this to mean that there should be a 60 minute boil for both all-grain and extract with the only hop addition at 40 minutes and all spices added at 38 minutes. The hop schedule seems more or less consistent with other wit recipes but most of the time it seems like spices are added at the 10min/5min/flameout point. Am I simply reading this wrong, or has anyone else added spices at or near this point? Should I ignore the spice directions and go with somewhere between 10-0 minutes?

Thanks!

Here is a link to the full article/recipe in case I didn't include enough above:
Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Top Honors: Boston Brewing Company's LongShot Contest -

Looks like they made a mistake in the recipe. To me the all-grain one says do a 22 minute boil, adding hops 2 min before flameout, and the spices at flameout.

How much sterling do they call for? I would add a bitterning hop at the start of the boil, and the spices in the last minute or two.

Thanks for your input Oldsock!

The recipe calls for 1 oz Sterling and 1 oz Golding.

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG= 1.046 FG= 1.011
IBU= 22 ABV= 4.4

Ingredients
4.5 lbs. (2 kg) of flaked wheat
5 lbs. (2.3 kg) of Belgian Pilsner malt
1 oz. (28 g) Sterling hops
1 oz. (28 g) Golding hops
0.25 oz. (7.1 g) bitter orange
0.5 Tb. cinnamon
1 tsp. coriander
0.35 oz. (1 g) grains of paradise

I can definitely see your interpretation - I'll have to think on this. Is there any other possible reason to boil for 60 minutes if you don't add any hops until the 22 (or 2) minute mark? It is my understanding that additional boiling has no effect on anything but hop utilization (and decreasing your total volume of course).

I think either way I will definitely do the spices somewhere in the 5min - flameout range. Just need to figure out what the real total boil time and hop schedule is.

For the recipe’s target of 22 IBUs it looks like the hops would need to be added at around 20 minutes for a full boil. For the 3 gal boil suggested in the extract recipe you would need to add the hops at 30 minutes to get the same bitterness. I would add the spices closer to the end, boiling that long will drive off the subtler aromatics.

Boiling enhances maillard reactions (darkens the wort and increases "malty" flavors). It also encourages protein coagulation (I generally boil 15 minutes before adding hops to get this over with, but it isn't a big deal with extract since the hot break happens during production). In all-grain batches that reduction in volume is one key to getting good efficiency (since you can run more sparge water through the grain). So to answer your question, with extract there isn't much reason to boil without the hops, for all-grain there is.

Back