Do scallops taste fishy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papinquack

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Gordan Ramsey and it seems that scallops are always one of the foods cooked on his shows. (My favorite is "Kitchen Nitmares"). Anyway I'm not real big on seafood and I was wondering if they are fishy tasting.

Well, they are shellfish.:D

I don't know what you mean by fishy. Scallops are one of my favorite things. They are extremely sweet and tender if cooked correctly (ie, don't fry the damn things). I wouldn't call them overly fishy.

They don't seem fishy at all to me- but then, I love seafood! I would compare them more to shrimp as far as texture and flavor. Sauteed scallops are one of my favorite foods!

Back when I worked in the meat/seafood department of a grocery store I wanted to throttle every customer that asked me if a certain fish tastes fishy. Of course it does- it's fish!

hummmm scallops, one of the recipe i love doing with those is having them "Sauté" in the pan with a strong homemade garlic and herbs butter and a hint of lemon juice.

The texture of scallops is often mentioned as being "rubber like" by people who taste it the first time, but they don't taste like Tuna or Salmon at all if that is what you are referring to.

After reading this thread, I got an overwhelming craving for raw oysters. Haven't had them since I left Japan, and I didn't miss them until just now. :(

As for the original question... I want to say no. It's tough to be sure, because everyone means something different when they say "fishy." Scallops are clearly seafood in taste, but they don't really taste like anything else. I would describe their flavor as scallopy, because they're unique. The texture is close to shrimp, though more tender. The flavor is so tough to describe... Delicious is a good adjective here. If you don't like shrimp though, you probably won't like scallops either.

I prefer them simple. Either raw on a bed of rice or cooked directly over an open flame with just a kiss of lemon.

Edited: Unless you're a huge seafood junkie, you won't like them raw.

I think scallops are really boring, but take that with a boulder of salt: I go for the tentacles in the basket of calamari, the mackerel on the nigiri menu, and mussels are my favorite shellfish.:)

Generally fishy taste comes from fish or shellfish that is not fresh. The part of the scallop you eat is the abductor muscle that holds the two shells together. The flavor is both sweet and delicate. Scallops will turn rubbery if over cooked. My favorite way to cook them is just to sear them quickly in a very hot pan and serve over pasta Alfredo.

I think scallops are really boring, but take that with a boulder of salt: I go for the tentacles in the basket of calamari, the mackerel on the nigiri menu, and mussels are my favorite shellfish.:)

Saba, Kudasai!

I like the way you think. Tobiko is a big favorite of mine as well. Calamari ain't about those silly rubbery pounded strips from the monster squid, rather it's the nice rings and tentacles from the small squid, simply dusted with spiced flour, and barely fried to just add a tan color to the outside.

I do love the scallops too, though.

scallops, not fishy.
i hate fishy.
i make bomb ass scallops... cookem like scampi. just as long.
texture is like a huge booger. taste is very sweet. no toughness at all, or you cooked too long.
i get complements from every one when i make em, even seafood haters like SWMBO.

Fresh scallops aren't really fishy, at least not to my taste. The main problem most people have with them is: A) They don't get fresh scallops. B) They overcook them, which makes them rubbery. C) They have no idea as to the true flavour of scallops as they cover up the flavour with butter & garlic. Scallops have a delicate, mild flavour; they should NOT be swimming in butter or garlic. They only need a couple of minutes to cook, and don't need much, if any, spice at all.

Fresh scallops aren't really fishy, at least not to my taste. The main problem most people have with them is: A) They don't get fresh scallops. B) They overcook them, which makes them rubbery. C) They have no idea as to the true flavour of scallops as they cover up the flavour with butter & garlic. Scallops have a delicate, mild flavour; they should NOT be swimming in butter or garlic. They only need a couple of minutes to cook, and don't need much, if any, spice at all.

Whats wrong with enjoying them in garlic butter and lemon if we like 'em this way?

Generally fishy taste comes from fish or shellfish that is not fresh. The part of the scallop you eat is the abductor muscle that holds the two shells together. The flavor is both sweet and delicate. Scallops will turn rubbery if over cooked. My favorite way to cook them is just to sear them quickly in a very hot pan and serve over pasta Alfredo.

Indeed.

It only takes literally a few seconds in a hot pan on each side. They should be fresh and like shrimp (most shellfish for that matter) cook very quickly. Scallops should not be reminiscent of fish really. Sweet and delicate is exactly how I'd describe them.

misc304.JPG

I like fishy. I grew up in Northern Michigan and we fished all the time. Bass, Bluegills, Sunfish, Croppie (or crappie), perch, walleye, and my favorite, Northern Pike!

Scallops do not have that fishy taste. They can be rubbery if not cooked right though. I've had good and bad scallops. It's not a local dish, so people around here have not learned how to cook it right.

Bad (read: not fresh) scallops can have an awful fishy taste. Here in Tennessee I've yet to find a place that serves decent shellfish. Hell, all the shrimp I can find here is fishy!

Good scallops may be one of the greatest foods ever. And cheaper than lobster. Wrap them in bacon, skewer them and grill them. Better than filet mignon.

Wrap em in bacon and a quick saute and its amazing. I do not really like seafood at all but i like scallops.

Absolutely - serv'em raw if you are confident of their freshness. I worked wholesale seafood for a long time - used to pick up truckloads of fresh scallops just off the boat in New Bedford, MA. I used to cut open one of the bags and eat them like gumdrops all the way back to southern RI. Actually, sweeter and more tender that gumdrops.

If you need to cook them, just a light hit of kosher salt and pepper then pan sear in butter until they just start to get a nice golden crust.

I've never had them raw... I'm landlocked, though when I lived in Chicago I had a place I could trust to deliver fresh seafood and I would try it from them if given the chance again...

I was raised on deep fried scallops during Lenten fridays. They are good that way... the oil allows the scallop to keep cooking even after you take them out of the oil, thus ensuring a fully cooked scallop (This is very important for sensitive people or if you are unsure as to freshness). But pan searing with a little butter takes them to a whole other level. And I've also had them wrapped in bacon and I have to say that the combination is divine! Though, with bacon, you'll over cook them if you don't fry up the bacon most of the way before wrapping them around the scallop.

right now im raelly mifted at you all, im just getting into bed and i decided to read this and now i raelly have a craving for a bowl of sea food chowder... if i could ever get back to Prince Edward Island i would die a happy man, until then, i wont touch sea food... or mexico, maybe... We had one good sea food resturant where i live, and it closed down because nobody in this flee bitten town likes sea food... Sea food dont taste fishy unless its going over... i miss eating fish... i mean if i had the choice i would eat it all the damn time and mercury poisioning be damned... scallops are no exception.

cheers

serve 'em raw. If you cook a scallop you ruin it.

Matt

Not necessarily. Superheated pan, clarified butter, THICK scallops and a few seconds on each side, just enough to brown it slightly and warm it. I agree with you though, but you live in FL ;).

You should have seen the look on the fish guys face when I took home a live lobster and told him I was making sashimi :D.

I finally tried scallops tonight, kinda. We went to a restaurant called "Joes Crab Shack" here in pittsburgh and I have to say I was pretty dissapointed with my order except for the Samuel Adams. I ordered the "Seafood Platter". It came with fish, shrimp, scallops, fries and cole slaw. My wife and I were really excited to try the scallops. My eldest ordered a bucket of crab clusters and she liked it, it came with corn on the cob and whole red potatoes. Anyway, my order came and I noticed very quickly that the scallops were "baby" scallops and that they were breaded and deep fried. The menu said SCALLOPS so I was thinking you know real deal gormet. My main man Gordan Ramsey would have probrably stormed the kitchen seeing that sh*t. Regardless we were open minded. The fish, shrimp and scallops all were breaded with the worst breading I've ever tasted, had kind of a kick to it as well. The fish was very fishy tasting, Carp tastes better than what we were served. Despite the over all poor rating we give joes crab shack, (and believe me we are not picky critical diners) we surmised that what little flavor we could taste of the scallops we will try them again only regular size and hopefully cooked properly. Do you guys and gals know of any nation wide restaurant chains who cook scallops right worth mentioning?

I finally tried scallops tonight, kinda. We went to a restaurant called "Joes Crab Shack" QUOTE]

well... there is yer' problem.
not to be a snob... but with seafood -you get what you pay for...

go to a reputible fishmonger and purchase some good, fresh scallops - and look up a recipe for simple sauted scallops. and prepare them yourself. a good cooked fresh scallop should be prepared slightly chewey - by this I mean when you bite into it it shouldn't be mushy or soft nor should it be like eating a pencil eraser - the flavor of the meat should be sweet , and distinct -with a little "ocean" flavor - but NEVER "FISHY" in short -properly prepared scallops are absolutely divine.

Just saw this thread for the first time. Scallops are the best food around. I could eat them 7 days a week. I like them any way you want to serve them, grilled wrapped in bacon, sauted in a really hot pan with a dash of clairified butter just long enough to brown them a bit on top and bottom, in sushi, you name it, I like it. My absolute most favorite time ever eating scallops was last summer when we did a scallop dive off of Salem, Mass. We were in a hot spot, at about 70 feet and they were covering the bottom. I pulled my knife out and shucked one on the bottom. Big breath, regulator out of the mouth, scallop goes in, squirt the sea water out of your mouth, chew, swallow put regulator back in mouth, big breath. Only did one thought, wasting away valuable hunting time.

I'm scheduled for a local diveboat's opening day dive on April 4th and the Captain's promising us a hot spot. Can't wait.

PTN

Wow, you can eat and scuba dive at the same time? I might have to start up a new hobby! I always though I would need a little diving bell with a small table set with silverware. You know, swim around a while, stuff a bag full of whatever goodness you can find down there, back to the bell for a quick snack, then repeat!

Just saw this thread for the first time. Scallops are the best food around. I could eat them 7 days a week. I like them any way you want to serve them, grilled wrapped in bacon, sauted in a really hot pan with a dash of clairified butter just long enough to brown them a bit on top and bottom, in sushi, you name it, I like it. My absolute most favorite time ever eating scallops was last summer when we did a scallop dive off of Salem, Mass. We were in a hot spot, at about 70 feet and they were covering the bottom. I pulled my knife out and shucked one on the bottom. Big breath, regulator out of the mouth, scallop goes in, squirt the sea water out of your mouth, chew, swallow put regulator back in mouth, big breath. Only did one thought, wasting away valuable hunting time.

I'm scheduled for a local diveboat's opening day dive on April 4th and the Captain's promising us a hot spot. Can't wait.

PTN

Paul, you didn't happen to find my dive bag did you? :D About fifteen years ago we were diving out of Salem Harbor, I had a bag full of nice big scallops. On the way to the surface the heavy bag dropped off my belt and went to the bottom, never to be seen again. Everyone on the boat thought it was real funny the old man had lost his catch. Still had a good time tho!

I finally tried scallops tonight, kinda. We went to a restaurant called "Joes Crab Shack" QUOTE]

well... there is yer' problem.
not to be a snob... but with seafood -you get what you pay for...

go to a reputible fishmonger and purchase some good, fresh scallops - and look up a recipe for simple sauted scallops. and prepare them yourself. a good cooked fresh scallop should be prepared slightly chewey - by this I mean when you bite into it it shouldn't be mushy or soft nor should it be like eating a pencil eraser - the flavor of the meat should be sweet , and distinct -with a little "ocean" flavor - but NEVER "FISHY" in short -properly prepared scallops are absolutely divine.
I pretty sure joes crab shack is a national chain. We only went there because my daughter wanted crab legs for her birthday and she looked at red lobsters menu and joe's offered crab by the bucket so she picked there. I forgot to mention what We disliked about Joes Crab Shack the most. We were eating and over a loud speaker a voice declared; "the shark will fall in three minutes!" We all start looking at this life size great white shark hanging from the ceiling thinking it would lower or something??? Anyway, on comes some modern f**k*d up version of the Bee Gees "Stayin Alive" and all the employees did this completely stupid and humiliating dance for about two minutes. It was sickening, I was pissed for those poor workers who were forced to humiliate themselves. The other patrons in the restauraunt were just as repulsed as we were. Eveyone sat in shock and watched the pitiful display as if it was a joke. I asked our waitress why they force them to do that and she said she cant figure it out either, none of them like doing it. I'm actually thinking of emailing the corporate head quarters and telling them just how pitiful they are to demand that of their employees.

Wow, you can eat and scuba dive at the same time? I might have to start up a new hobby! I always though I would need a little diving bell with a small table set with silverware. You know, swim around a while, stuff a bag full of whatever goodness you can find down there, back to the bell for a quick snack, then repeat!
I got mad skills.

Paul, you didn't happen to find my dive bag did you? :D About fifteen years ago we were diving out of Salem Harbor, I had a bag full of nice big scallops. On the way to the surface the heavy bag dropped off my belt and went to the bottom, never to be seen again. Everyone on the boat thought it was real funny the old man had lost his catch. Still had a good time tho!

How much does that suck?

I had the same thing happen to me once on a lobster dive. We were drifting, the captain was following our flags and when we were out of air we surface and he picked us up. I handed up the bag to the mate and he dropped it. We were on our last dive of the day and so didn't have any more tanks to go looking. Bummer.

PTN

I finally tried scallops tonight, kinda. We went to a restaurant called "Joes Crab Shack" here in pittsburgh and I have to say I was pretty dissapointed with my order except for the Samuel Adams. I ordered the "Seafood Platter". It came with fish, shrimp, scallops, fries and cole slaw. My wife and I were really excited to try the scallops. My eldest ordered a bucket of crab clusters and she liked it, it came with corn on the cob and whole red potatoes. Anyway, my order came and I noticed very quickly that the scallops were "baby" scallops and that they were breaded and deep fried. The menu said SCALLOPS so I was thinking you know real deal gormet. My main man Gordan Ramsey would have probrably stormed the kitchen seeing that sh*t. Regardless we were open minded. The fish, shrimp and scallops all were breaded with the worst breading I've ever tasted, had kind of a kick to it as well. The fish was very fishy tasting, Carp tastes better than what we were served. Despite the over all poor rating we give joes crab shack, (and believe me we are not picky critical diners) we surmised that what little flavor we could taste of the scallops we will try them again only regular size and hopefully cooked properly. Do you guys and gals know of any nation wide restaurant chains who cook scallops right worth mentioning?
There are two types of scallops. bay scallops (small ones) and deep sea.(large)
both are great if fresh and cooked right. Chances are the place in Pittsburg was using frozen bay scallops. Freezing kills most the taste and the breading
didn't help much.
I live 5 minutes from the water on Cape Cod bay and will not eat either if frozen.
I like the bay scallops for bake stuffed.one tube Ritz crackers ,dash of garlic powder(1/16th tsp) butter. Sherry.
place the fresh scallops on paper towels to remove moisture.
melt butter ,add crushed crackers , pepper (no salt enough in the crackers)
garlic. you can add other options - onion -celery -shrimp - parmasian cheese etc.
take your oven proof baking dish and rub inside with butter. bottom and sides.
put your scallops in but don't over pack them.
place your stuffing on top. Bless with Sherry and pop into oven for 20 minutes. enjoy.
Sea scallops
pan sear - grill - fry - raw-.kebabs.

Back