BrownieBites' Chocolate Oatmeal Stout partial mash recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
In honor of the fine folks who have so graciously donated to my membership, I've decided to brew a chocolate stout using my fancy new moniker in the title.

Here's the recipe:

Partial Mash
1lb. Two-Row
12oz. Crystal 120
12oz. Flaked Oats
12oz. Roast Barley
5oz. Chocolate Malt

Extract
4lb. Extra Light DME

Hops
1oz. EKG @60
1oz. Fuggles @60

Yeast
S-04 (Whitbread strain)

And the target stats:

Post-Boil Volume: 5gal
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.0%
IBU: 38.7
SRM: 32.4

As usual, recipe critiques are always welcome.

Why dont you try to make a red and it will actually end up coming out to be a chocolate stout....... ok enough screwin around with ya!

What kind of chocolate and how do you plan on using it?

Erm, chocolate malt in the mash? Should have clarified that.

I was under the impression chocolate stouts didn't necessarily need *actual* chocolate in them.

Why dont you try to make a red and it will actually end up coming out to be a chocolate stout....... ok enough screwin around with ya!

Great. I may have unwittingly become the HBT whipping boy. I wonder if BeerAdvocate has a homebrew forum...

I am not a big fan of them and have never made one myself but I know alot of people that do use some form of chocolate, usually durring secondary I think.

Great. I may have unwittingly become the HBT whipping boy. I wonder if BeerAdvocate has a homebrew forum...

Dont worry that only until some other poor schmuk comes along and complains about his mom's description of a barleywine.... that would be annnnny day now:D

Choc stouts by definition usually do not have chocolate in them just choc malt so you are correct in calling it a chocolate stout.

WildWest, look up his thread titled "Conversation at my mother's house..." and read all 9087576 posts. The Post Whores gave him a lot of good natured ribbing in that thread and so someone bought him membership for it.

You can add actual chocolate to chocolate stouts, but you're right using chocolate malt is easier and gives that chocolate taste.

I would go with probably no more than 8 oz based on your recipe. But take that for what it's worth. I've never done a chocolate stout.

Like they say, "Those who can't do, teach".... just sayin'

Wish I could interject some useful advice here Brownie, but I have never done a Chocolate anything.....
Well, there was this hot chick in college.... but that's a different story. ;)

Back