First Keg Advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullDraw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those that have been kegging for a while. If there was one piece of information that you could have had before that first kegging, what would it be? Of course pertaining to kegging procedures or upkeep (prekeep?). I know I should relax, but I've got a week to think about this and nothing better to do. I've got all the pieces, and the beer is settling in the primary. Pass on that "wisdom" if you please.
Cayuga

Started with three, now have eight. Second CO2 tank is a plus, dual regulator is another plus... That said, aging/conditioning in keg is never a bad idea. I actually ferment in kegs (space limitations) and secondary in keg. Spare rings never hurt-

part numbers 9452K218, 9452K23, and 9452K172.

and more kegs!

I also like Northern Brewers Sure Screens in my case (part 7540).

Wouldn't have made any difference to know in the first place, but very quickly into this I came to realize that more than one regulator would be really nice. I have one currently, but will be going to 6 kegs and would like 3 regulators minimum. I'd suggest getting additional regulators when you plan on doing multiple taps.

i am in the same boat. i have chinesefood's caramel vanilla creme ale in primary ( 3 days in) and am building out my keezer. I just painted the fridge and then collar tonight. Tomorrow or the day after, i will continue work on it and hopefully finish it.

Now i just need my father in law to give me the temperature control and co2 tank he said he got for me.

Relax. Have a homebrew.

Oh, and find someplace that has a special on 12 packs of kegs. Never can get enough of those things...

:mug:

That the 5 lb Co2 tank I bought was going to cost about as much to fill as a 20 lb tank swap out

By way more than you think you need. I started with 3 for a 2 tap setup and now have 10. Also if you can swing it, buy 2 co2 bottles, one for dispensing and one for keg cleaning, purging, and carbing.

That the 5 lb Co2 tank I bought was going to cost about as much to fill as a 20 lb tank swap out

+10 on that one, get a huge tank if possible, I have a 15lb and a 5lb, cost's a dollars difference to swap them out.

+1 on more Kegs. (I have 14 now)

1 5lb CO2 tank for fridge, 1 20lb for carbing and conditioning.

If you like variety, plan on many taps/regulators. I only have 2 and am planning on a 5 or 6 Tap Keezer.

Plan on setting up a Coat Check. You'll be getting a lot more friends over saying they were "just in the neighborhood. Oh btw, what have you been brewing lately?"

dp

Since the +1 to getting more kegs has been beaten to death, i'll offer some different advice:

Unless it's a brand new never used keg, no mater who or where you got your kegs or the condition they were advertised as (reconditioned, holds pressure not cleaned, etc.) before you put your first beer in it do a complete nuclear cleaning and repace the o-rings, sanatize, test for leaks then, and fill.
There's nothing worse than a cola background to a nice english bitter.

yep, I second the Orings.
Everytime you order kegs, order at minimum 1 -oring kit per keg. and then maybe 2-3 kits to have on spare.
Maybe a couple poppet valves. Minimum enough parts to rebuild a whole keg (orings and diptubes and PRV)

Other than that more kegs and brew more, it get's drank ALOT quicker if you don't have bottles to watch dissapear!.
I still have probably 10 bottles from a brew I did in Feb of last year, but I've emptied both beers I've had on tap within 2 weeks of them being carbed. Just more convenient.

I wil have 3 taps once keezer is completed and only own 4 kegs. I want at least 6 so I can have at least a complete Line change. Stepping to 10 gallon batches will help keep them filled.

+2 on the O-rings. I had a hell of time because of my ignorance on this. When I got my keg, I assumed the "reconditioned" meant all was new, definitley not the case. I had to wait three days to finally keg that first one to get all the O-rings, cuz the dip tube rings were shot.

Now I have spare kits on hand to replace them as needed.

Also, I agree with more kegs than you think you'll need. I decided I needed an extra one last minute but the LHBS had just sold thier last one! I had to bottle off the rest of what was in one of my kegs in order to re-use it. Not much fun since the kegs were supposed to eliminate the bottling :mad:

Started with three, now have eight. Second CO2 tank is a plus, dual regulator is another plus... That said, aging/conditioning in keg is never a bad idea. I actually ferment in kegs (space limitations) and secondary in keg. Spare rings never hurt-

part numbers 9452K218, 9452K23, and 9452K172.

and more kegs!

I also like Northern Brewers Sure Screens in my case (part 7540).

Like I said, O RINGS A MUST! :mug:

Ok, I'm placing my order now for O-rings, lube, extra hose, and enough parts to build a robot. More kegs mean more parts, so let me get started first. Thanks for the suggestions guys. If you all want to stop by for a beer this weekend, bring a present, it's my kids birthday.

Thanks again.

Make sure you have a place close that will fill your CO2 tank. My wife just got me a system with a new 20lb tank and the only place that can fill it is a bit of a drive. I am very reluctant to swap it out because it is so shiny new and I'll end up with a POS.

OK, After successfully completing my first kegging, your collective advice of buying more kegs and o-rings is spot on. This is too easy. Making sure things are clean is standard, add beer, wait. I had the time for my mind to overthink this process. Now, allow me to answer my original post question (of advice).

Make sure to have room in the fridge for the keg. And a little space for the CO2 tank doesn't hurt either.;)

Back