I Love Whisky, Who else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
I was sitting here, just drinking my 3rd glass of Maker's Mark, when I realized it. I really like whisky.

Now I didn't come in expecting that I would, because my only previous experience with whisky involved me, a buddy, a fifth of Jack Daniels, an hour, and a horrible next day.

So when I finally thought about trying whisky again, I wasn't sure what to expect, but just sitting here, relaxing, just sipping and savoring it, I find that I am really getting into this stuff. I guess so much for my idea that I wasn't really a liquor kind of guy.

Who else loves whisky? What do you drink? What should I try next?

I love whiskey. Right now I think my favorite is Ardbeg 10yo and Bunnahabhain 12yo is very nice. The Bunnahabhain is pretty hard to find in my area but it is wonderful.

Even though it is Canadian, 40 Creek Barrel Select is pretty nice. Down here in Louisiana the stores only stock the big brands and the cheap stuff.

Down here in Louisiana the stores only stock the big brands and the cheap stuff.

Thats how it is here. You have to go into the specialty stores back areas where they keep the good **** to get the great bottles.

In Dallas, the best stuff is commonplace in all the liquor stores I've ever been to. I'm fond of Scotch and Bourbon both. The Islay malts are my favorite Scotch; Laphroaig quarter cask especially, and Lagavulin. For Bourbon I like Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve.

By the way, "whisky" is Scotch, and "whiskey" is everything else.

I'm fond of Scotch and Bourbon both. The Islay malts are my favorite Scotch; Laphroaig quarter cask especially, and Lagavulin.

By the way, "whisky" is Scotch, and "whiskey" is everything else.

Oooh love Lagavulin!

I was sitting here, just drinking my 3rd glass of Maker's Mark, when I realized it. I really like whisky.

Wait until you tr something good :)

For suggestions, if you don't mind the price, pappy van winkle's oldest stuff and Elijah Craig 18 are both good IME.

wildturkeydistillerxv1.jpg

When you need to get the job done.

I am most definitely a whisky and bourbon fan! For whisky, Caol Illa 12 yo and The Balvenie 12 yo rank among my favorites. Knob Creek and Maker's Mark for bourbon.

Knob Creek and Maker's Mark for bourbon.

I've got a bottle of Maker's in the cabinet now. I bought it after trying some on a recent camping trip. I liked it then. But now, for some reason, not so much....

I've never tried the knob creek. I do enjoy an occasional shot of Jim Beam Black. I heard somewhere that Knob Creek is just Jim Beam but aged longer in the barrel. Is that true? Is it enough of an improvement to justify the price?

I'm very keen on most bourbons and Canadian blended scotches......

Unfortunately, if I have a bottle of whiskey in front of me I am going to get very drunk. I don't know when to stop. For this reason I only have the stuff when I visit my father in law. He has a great collection of bourbons and some terrific Kentucky moonshine that I get to try on rare occasions. :)

We recently had a thread about this: Scotch and Whiskey thread.

If I'm going to drink bourbon whiskey, it's usually the Woodford Reserve. I could drink that stuff all day ;) And you get to be part owner in a racehorse!

The Caol Ila mentioned below is a great whisky. It's very mellow and drinkable. When I'm in the mood for something with some real character I'll reach for the Laprhoaig Quarter Cask or Talisker Distiller's Reserve. Om nom nom peat!

-Joe

I've never tried the knob creek. I do enjoy an occasional shot of Jim Beam Black. I heard somewhere that Knob Creek is just Jim Beam but aged longer in the barrel. Is that true? Is it enough of an improvement to justify the price?

I think it is. It has a lot more subtle flavors than Beam; like cinnamon, vanilla and caramel. The Knob is my go to whiskey. Buffalo trace is good also, but not as complex.

I was a little disappointed with knob creek. It's a good step up from beam, but I had heard a lot of hype before buying it and was just expecting something better...
Evan Williams Single Barrel is a great bourbon for the price, and is one of my favorites.

I love a highball of Jack Daniels single barrel on ice.

Jack Daniels reminds me of my dad. He used to always have some black label in coke sitting around his chair. It was the first alcohol I ever tasted. Sometimes he'd "wet" the ice of my coke glass with some when I was very young. To this day, that charcoal scent of JD makes me think of him.

Yep, love whiskey/whisky too. My favs:

Scotch: Talisker
Burbon: Woodford Reserve
Canadian Rye: Wiser's Deluxe or Gibson's

Whiskey is my go to drink after beer. I think that the best whiskeys are Irish Whiskeys. Theyre just alot smoother and more mellow. Tullamore Dew would have to be tops. Man oh man i can drink that stuff like water then Jameson. I also enjoy Jack and Jim. I enjoy some Gentleman Jack and Jim Black Label. I was never a big fan of Canadian or Scotch Whiskey.

#1 Fave....Bowmore 18 Year.
Then the rest of the Bowmore Line right down to the Ledgend 8 Year.
I also stock Makers Mark.
Glenlevet
Glenfiddig
Gentleman Jack.
and of course Crown.

Wait until you tr something good :)

For suggestions, if you don't mind the price, pappy van winkle's oldest stuff and Elijah Craig 18 are both good IME.

I was going to mention Pappy when I saw this thread, but you beat me to it. I hate that more people are finding out about it though. Lately it costs an extra $10-$15 a fifth from when I first bought it.

Makers is my mainstay, but Pappy is always in the cabinet for a special occasion.

Whiskey is my go to drink after beer. I think that the best whiskeys are Irish Whiskeys. Theyre just alot smoother and more mellow. Tullamore Dew would have to be tops. Man oh man i can drink that stuff like water then Jameson.

Yessir. I always have a bottle of Jameson around.

When I can afford it I'll splurge for something nice & aged (Laphroaig, or Glenfiddich)

I am a huge fan of Scotch, Whiskey, and Bourbon. Nothing is finer for an evening sipping drink. Here are a few of my favorites.

Bourbon - Four Roses (especially their small batch, and single barrel), Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, Knob Creek, (thats just to name a few)
Whiskey - Jameson, Bushmills, Crown (rye), ect
Scotch - Glenfiddich, (I don't know much about fine Scotch's)

I love the taste of Jack Daniels Black Lable but seldom drink it as I have too much beer on hand to go spending on whisky as well. I do keep a quart bottle on hand though and probably average having to replace it once ever year or so. I drink it straight on ice.

If you like Makers Mark, you might like to try Buffalo Trace. My brother brought me a bottle from TN for my birthday (can't find it here in NY). Also Knob Creek is good.

But that's not the way it's supposed to be. That's just others ripping off the scots. ;)

Not really. In the early to mid 1800s 'whisky' beat out 'whiskey', 'whiskee' and 'whiskie' and was close to being the preferred spelling everywhere. But then around the 1880s Irish distillers began adding the 'e' to better distinguish their products from the inferior Scotch whiskies (a process which wasn't completed until around 1960, by which time Scotch whiskies weren't particularly inferior).

'"Whiskey" is Irish or American and "whisky" is everything else' is much closer to the truth. Sure, a lot of those places have borrowed from the highly influential Scottish distilling tradition, but (particularly in the case of Canadian whisky) they still produce distinct products.

India was the ringer on my list, as while I believe they do prefer the 'whisky' spelling most of what that label is applied to could more correctly be called 'rum'.

I also neglected to mention Sweden, though their sole whisky thus far (Mackmyra) is indeed very reminiscent of Scotch.

Oh, and even in the US the government has decided that the official spelling is 'whisky', but out of respect for tradition distillers are still allowed to label their products with the variant spelling. Personally, I think it's high time we stop enshrining historical peculiarities and embrace the modern age of standardised spelling.

Scotch - Glenfiddich, (I don't know much about fine Scotch's)
Try what I do: walk into the liquor store, amble over to the single malt section, find your price range and pick out something you've never tried.

My favorite thing about single malt Scotches is the wide variation in flavors. Sometimes even within the same product. It makes every drink a fun experience; what am I going to taste this time?

If you were to hand a non-Scotch drinker a glass of Lagavulin, a glass of The Dalmore Cigar Malt and a glass of Dalwhinnie, that person might have a hard time believing they're all Scotch. "But I don't like whisky! This one tastes like caramel, yum." :)

-Joe

Not really. In the early to mid 1800s 'whisky' beat out 'whiskey', 'whiskee' and 'whiskie' and was close to being the preferred spelling everywhere. But then around the 1880s Irish distillers began adding the 'e' to better distinguish their products from the inferior Scotch whiskies (a process which wasn't completed until around 1960, by which time Scotch whiskies weren't particularly inferior).

'"Whiskey" is Irish or American and "whisky" is everything else' is much closer to the truth. Sure, a lot of those places have borrowed from the highly influential Scottish distilling tradition, but (particularly in the case of Canadian whisky) they still produce distinct products.

India was the ringer on my list, as while I believe they do prefer the 'whisky' spelling most of what that label is applied to could more correctly be called 'rum'.

I also neglected to mention Sweden, though their sole whisky thus far (Mackmyra) is indeed very reminiscent of Scotch.

Oh, and even in the US the government has decided that the official spelling is 'whisky', but out of respect for tradition distillers are still allowed to label their products with the variant spelling. Personally, I think it's high time we stop enshrining historical peculiarities and embrace the modern age of standardised spelling.

Well, my spellchecker keeps telling me I can't even say whisky without it reprimanding me! :)

Technically, Jack Daniels is classified as a "Tennessee Sour Mash"... which is to say that it meets the four criteria for a spirit to be classified as a "bourbon", plus an added fifth criterion that it be refiltered through charcoaled logs.

Though admittedly, Jack Daniels distillery is the one who invented this classification of spirit, specifically to compete with Jim Beam, so take that for what it's worth.

All of this I learned from Jimmy Bedford, former master distiller at JD, when he did a seminar on the three kinds of spirits they sell. The man signed my single barrel bottle... he was a good guy. Alas, he's retired now, but still a good memory for me.

If I'm going the scotch whisky direction, I've been liking some Bunnahabhain lately. Not quite as overly peaty-smoky as some, but still pretty strong peat character.

As for Bourbon, well, what's my name? That'd be my rail bourbon, the gold-cap stuff. For the higher end, I alternate, but for my money, you can't beat Evan Williams Single Barrel for like $25/750mL.

"whisky" is the accepted variant. I'm sure anyone will know what you are writing about. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back