BIG Joe Willams' Sloppy Drunk Mild Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
SloppyDrunkMildAle.jpg

This is my label for a mild I've got in primary right now. Not the greatest pic or rendering I've ever done, but I like the layout alot as it's reminiscent of alot of old style album covers.

Schlante,
Phillip

I was in a hurry trying to get out of work and forgot to tell ya about Big Joe. Anyone truely interested can google him and I'm sure most of the blues fans already know him. I'll just say he's amazing. A bluesman in everysense of the word. My favorite Big Joe CD is "Piney Wood Blues" (think that's it, I know it's piney woods something). For some time I've kept a running tally of what I think are the greatest songs of all times. Baby Please Don't Go makes my top 3 and no one played or sang it better than Big Joe Williams.

This Mild Ale is named after another of Big Joe's more popular recordings. "I'd rather be sloppy drunk baby than any way I know" the main part of the corus. "Give me another half a pint baby and Big Joe's gonna wreck this whole joint" is a memorable line.

As for the bier it's an exact copy of Jamil Zanisheff's Mild Ale recipe from thebrewingnetwork.com.

What do yall think of the label? Any Big Joe Williams fans? I'm thinking Blind Lemon Lars has to be...

Schlante,
Phillip

looks great!
i love a beer with a little history lol

Great concept. Combines my passion for good music and good beer.

Looks great. I can always appreciate a tribute brew.

Going back just 5 years or so I was ALL into the blues, still am/it's still my favorite form of music by far, but with a 2nd child and other pursuits I've stepped away from it a little. Don't really go to more than 1 or 2 shows a year now. Glad there are some blues fans out there. As for bier culture Mississippi might be the worst in the US, but when it comes to Blues culture we're at the head of the class. Gotta work with what ya got... :ban:

I used to want to write a book on MS blues artist. Now I hope to brew professionally... go figure!;)

Thanks for the kind comments,
Phillip

"characterful"? I might suggest rewording your last line there on the label. Just my .02, otherwise great label and concept.

I'd rather be sloppy drunk that 'bout anything else i know.

Alway dug Jimmy Rogers version personally but that label is awesome. Here to you and your superior taste in beer and blues!

The artwork is great. But somehow sloppy drunk and a 3.3% mild ale don't really work imo.

I'd rather be sloppy drunk that 'bout anything else i know.

Alway dug Jimmy Rogers version personally but that label is awesome. Here to you and your superior taste in beer and blues!

For some reason I never got way into Jimmy Rogers. Don't dislike him. I do know he's a wonderful guitarist.

As a blues fan one of the great things is being able to find new artist, new takes on old songs, etc. The recorded history is so long it's really hard to exhaust all the resources, or atleast it is hard to do so on my budget! Bentonia MS is about 30 mins up the road from me and I've made a point of seeking out the recordings from that area. It's known mostly for Skip James and Jack Owens, it's played in A minor, a very droning dark sound very different from the other major styles. Even now it's producing new vibrant musicians that are as skilled in it's style as the guys from the 30's. Check out Jimmy Duck Holmes recorded by Broke and Hungry Records. I consider he and Bud Spires among my friends. Bud actually helped me learn how to blow harp.

The artwork is great. But somehow sloppy drunk and a 3.3% mild ale don't really work imo.

Yea I thought the same thing when I was brewing, but decided to go with it anyway. I think this will be a really good bier, and a fitting to tribute to a really great blues artist. Besides "Baby Please Don't Go" Ale just didn't seem to flow very well! Joe was actually a talent scout for several years for a couple of record labels. He converted his 6 string guitar to 9 strings just so other people wouldn't play it. He had an odd quirk where he didn't like people touching his stuff, it would make him look like this -> :mad: Just an amazing character, thus why I make reference to "characterful", and yes that is a word... I had to look it up myself to be sure.

Schlante,
Phillip

For some reason I never got way into Jimmy Rogers. Don't dislike him. I do know he's a wonderful guitarist.

As a blues fan one of the great things is being able to find new artist, new takes on old songs, etc. The recorded history is so long it's really hard to exhaust all the resources, or atleast it is hard to do so on my budget! Bentonia MS is about 30 mins up the road from me and I've made a point of seeking out the recordings from that area. It's known mostly for Skip James and Jack Owens, it's played in A minor, a very droning dark sound very different from the other major styles. Even now it's producing new vibrant musicians that are as skilled in it's style as the guys from the 30's. Check out Jimmy Duck Holmes recorded by Broke and Hungry Records. I consider he and Bud Spires among my friends. Bud actually helped me learn how to blow harp.

I'll be sure to check those artists out, always looking for good music that i haven't heard before. Are you down with a radio program called Blues Before Sunrise? Hands down my favorite blues radio program. Airs on NPR stations generally at midnight on Saturday, you can stream on their web site too.

I suppose my preference for Jimmy Rogers is due his Chess records connection. So much good music came out of that studio. Alas this is August though and it's all i can do to stop listening to jazz what with the Chicago jazz fest fast approaching.....

just so I'm not totally off topic, i don't suppose you have your Mild recipe anywhere, my first batch was a mild kit and I'd like to do another soon....

I'll be sure to check those artists out, always looking for good music that i haven't heard before. Are you down with a radio program called Blues Before Sunrise? Hands down my favorite blues radio program. Airs on NPR stations generally at midnight on Saturday, you can stream on their web site too.

I suppose my preference for Jimmy Rogers is due his Chess records connection. So much good music came out of that studio. Alas this is August though and it's all i can do to stop listening to jazz what with the Chicago jazz fest fast approaching.....

just so I'm not totally off topic, i don't suppose you have your Mild recipe anywhere, my first batch was a mild kit and I'd like to do another soon....

Hey I just noticed your from Joliet IL. I suppose Joliet is made most famous from it's mentions in Blues Brothers, or maybe it's just me! An amazing movie, but not a good thing for the blues in alot of ways.

I've heard Blues B4 Sunrise, it's okay, I'm not sure it's still on around here. Suppose I was spoiled with "Hwy 61" blues program that aired on and originated from Misisipi Pub. Radio. It was awesome, I remember listening to it when I was pre pubescent. Something about the music has always touched my soul in a way few things could even approach. It's just in my blood I suppose. Whooa that's kind of introspective... I've got alot of friends that just don't get my intrest in old black men :p

The recipe is simple enough. It's Jamil's recipe with 1/2 lb carapils added.
Fermentables:
5# Marris Otter (Any British Pale Malt will do)
.75# Crystal 60
.5# Crystal 120
.375# Chocolate Malt
.5# CaraPils
Hops:
.75 oz. Kent Goldings - 60 Mins.
.5 oz. Fuggles - 20 Mins.
.5 oz. Fuggles - 0 Mins.
Your IBU target is 17-20. Also if you want to keep it in style eleminate both late boil additions.
Yeast:
Safale S-04 (pitched on approx 1 qt of yeast cake from Irish Red Ale)

Mash @ 158 degrees
Brewhouse Eff. 71%
O.G. 1.036
target F.G. 1.011

Google Bud Spires and/or Bentonia Blues. Good stuff. You can hear some by going to the Broke and Hungry Records website (google it also), and clicking the link to their myspace page. I'm a big fan of www.fatpossum.com Fat Possum Records, RL Burnside, Junior Kimbrough etc. Also easily the best book on the blues I've ever read is Deep Blues by Robert Palmer. Also go to ebay/amazon and order the "Deep Blues" documentary, it's MUST SEE for ANY blues fan. Has awesome video of guys most people haven't heard of like Roosevelt "Boobie" Barnes, Jack Owens & Bud Spires, and an especially good couple of songs by the late Lonnie Pitchford, step son of Robert Jr. Lockwood a really innovative bluesman whom struggled to distance himself from his step father's shadow, Robert Johnson. Lonnie's only full length CD was "All Around Man" (I can't find my copy DANG!!!) and it is amazing, buy it if you can find it! He died at age 43 from AIDS, a career like many cut short of it's peak! Hmmm may have found inspiration for my next bier!!! :rockin:

Schlante,
Phillip

Sorry to be SO LONG!!! and :off: Just make sure you check out Deep Blues documentary and you'll understand!

Hey I just noticed your from Joliet IL. I suppose Joliet is made most famous from it's mentions in Blues Brothers, or maybe it's just me! An amazing movie, but not a good thing for the blues in alot of ways.

YES!!!! I've was on the phone with a customer service rep in India once and when i give him my address he asked if it was the same Joliet from the blues brothers. That blew my mind. I love that movie though, looking back, that movie opened so many doors to me musically that might otherwise have stayed close for years. Plus it's just a damn funny film.

Love R.L. Burnside, love the stuff he was doing at the end of his career too, remarkable guy. never got to see him live, but did catch his son with the North Mississippi All stars once and that was a killer show. Fat Possum is a great label too, so is Alligator.... man i could go on and on....

I'll have to give that recipe a try, thanks for posting.

Back