Starting hops inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njord4

Reaction score
I've read that it may be a good idea to start hops inside if you can't plant until later. I'm sure it's better than keeping them in the refrigerator. I am planning on planting more than one rhizome type per mound outside. Should I throw all the rhizomes from one mound in a one gallon pot or should I separate each one and then bury them together when I transplant?

I just bought my house last September so I'm planting hops here for the first time. I'm planting (2) Cascades, (2) Goldings, and (3) Saaz (just for kicks).

Thanks for any advice.

Erik

I was thinking that two rhizomes in one pot would be too crowded, but it would sure make things easier. With the way winter is refusing to let go, I figure I might wind up starting mine indoors too.

Chris

A lot of sites say 2 rhizomes per pot / mound. I put 1 in each pot, been keeping them watered, now 5 days later, all 8 pots have little stems sticking out 3" - 8"! I just hope that they don't grow too much before I can put them outside.

5 Is Not Enough said:
A lot of sites say 2 rhizomes per pot / mound. I put 1 in each pot, been keeping them watered, now 5 days later, all 8 pots have little stems sticking out 3" - 8"! I just hope that they don't grow too much before I can put them outside.

You can always snip the shoots back to the dirt after they grow to about 12". The hop growing information that came with my hop rhizomes actually suggests this.......I can't remember why, something about the second shoots being more hardy or something.

I just planted mine in pots last night. My only concern is that the pot may not be able to contain all the roots once they start growing. My pot has a 12" diameter at the top and is about a foot high. I figure its volume is two gallons. I should be able to transplant at the end of April, so hopefully they don't grow up too fast! What size pots is everyone else using?

I'm really interested to see how the Saaz start out...

Erik

That's plenty big for the first year, certainly for 6 weeks. I got my Mt. Hood from someone in OBC and it was 4 feet high in a one gallon pot. Hit the top of the trellis after transplanting.

I've got some Saaz on the way too.
I just had a thought: since I'm getting two rhizomes of each type, I wonder if it would make sense to start one indoors and plant the other when the weather finally clears. You know, to hedge my bets? Some people have said that transplanting can be problematic, but I'm not sure I get that.

Chris

ChrisS68 said:
Some people have said that transplanting can be problematic, but I'm not sure I get that.

I think from what I've read, the key to success is just like any other plant started indoors: you have to got through a "hardening" process to get them used to outside vs. just pull them from warm inside to cold ground.

ie. take them outside for a little while each day for a week before you transplant.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. This is my first foray into gardening so it's a learning process.
Thanks!

Chris

Well, since they've been in the refrigerator, I think they're used to temps in the 30s. So, here in northern Illinois, I've just been leaving them outside on my deck in the pots. When the temp drops below 35 degrees, then I'll bring them inside. I'm pretty sure though that most of the days from now until I transplant will be above freezing. Once the nights are above freezing (for good), then I'll transplant.

njord4 said:
Well, since they've been in the refrigerator, I think they're used to temps in the 30s. So, here in northern Illinois, I've just been leaving them outside on my deck in the pots. When the temp drops below 35 degrees, then I'll bring them inside. I'm pretty sure though that most of the days from now until I transplant will be above freezing. Once the nights are above freezing (for good), then I'll transplant.
Hops are supposed to be very cold hardy. Considering they will be spending the rest of their winters in frozen soil under snow, I couldn't imagine that it could hurt them. You're also probably not really getting a head start on them either (the primary reason I started mine inside).

Back