Beer noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx6x

Reaction score
So im one of those people that has been said often thats hated on here I say I hate beer. While only have tride Bud, miller, rolling rock, Old style, Milwaukee's best(o god but it was cheep) and dos equis( the best of them imo
). Ive herd repeated often that there's a beer for every one so i want to start exploreing that. As a 1st step I will be going to binny's and getting a mix and match 6 pack. Would like some advice as what to get. As far as what I drink I use to be a big whiskey drinker( southern comfort , honey jack) but have since went to cider( wood chuck summer>802>amber>pear)

Any help would be greatly appreciated in helping me rediscover beer.

So im one of those people that has been said often thats hated on here I say I hate beer. While only have tride Bud, miller, rolling rock, Old style, Milwaukee's best(o god but it was cheep) and dos equis( the best of them imo
). Ive herd repeated often that there's a beer for every one so i want to start exploreing that. As a 1st step I will be going to binny's and getting a mix and match 6 pack. Would like some advice as what to get. As far as what I drink I use to be a big whiskey drinker( southern comfort , honey jack) but have since went to cider( wood chuck summer>802>amber>pear)

Any help would be greatly appreciated in helping me rediscover beer.

First off, welcome. Secondly - those are not beers you describe above :D. Figure out what you like, try different brews from different breweries and develop your palate. I used to not like IPA's but over time I developed my palate and now they are my go to beer. Ask your local store to recommend some suggestions.

Cheers

If you can get a mix and match six pac then that would be a great place to start. It is helpful to know what kind of beer you would like before trying to brew it. Google beer styles and look up popular brands in that style. Just know that home brew is way better tasting.

You are currently drinking hard cider, there is a whole forum here on making just that. Maybe that would be a good starting point as the processes are similar. The insight, recipes and advice from the brewers here is priceless.

good luck and I hope this helps.

Yeah I all ready brewing have a batch of wine and 2 batches of cider under my belt. With a hard root beer in fermenter Just trying to find I beer I like to drink to open that side of brewing to me.

For the OP who seems to have not tried many, here are a few easy ones that most stores will have: Guiness Extra Stout, Sierra Nevada (reg), Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Newcastle Brown Ale, Heavy Seas Ale.......

I would recommend figuring out what types of beer you like and don't like. My LHBS has their recommendation for each style. Figure out whether you like IPA's, or stouts, or Wheats, or . . .

From there you can start to rule out why you don't like them, too hoppy, not hoppy enough, etc.

Happy drinking! :rockin:

First off i would support your local breweries.If you find one you like within close proximity not only is that a plus for you its a plus for them.Another plus is you will most likely be able to get a little 4oz or 2oz sample for free instead of devoting money to a six pack that will go to waste if you do not care for it.

Yeah planing on doing some brewery tours soon just thought the mixer 6 pack might be a good start.

Try the sixer. I would try to grab 6 different styles and go from there. You are going to try some you don't like but it you gotta start somewhere.

Let the guys at Binny's help you out. Just tell them that you're looking to try some new things and don't have any favorites yet and just want a variety. Of course, there are a number of great breweries here in the Chicago area and many offer tasting flights where you can have 3-4oz of several different beers to get a taste of it all. Where around Chicago are you? I'm usually up for an excuse to head to a brewery...

When I turned 21, I didn't know beer much at all either. I got recommendations from a friend of mine (who also introduced me to homebrewing) to buy the following:

Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
Pilsner Urquell (Or Trumer Pills if you can get that)

Edit: I guess I got some Grolsch as well. I think the porter was on the counter. I was sort of into being a beer nerd before I was even into beer.

3249629246_4b3bbbffaa_z.jpg

After getting familiar with those, he had me pick up:
Guinness Draught
Spaten Optimator
Anchor Steam
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
and I think an IPA as well to test out, since I hadn't had one yet.

Most of these are widely available, so see what you can find. Be sure to read up on what the style of the beer is before you try it to really understand what you're tasting (rather than just remembering "oh I don't like Guinness").

If you're really into having a proper experience here, see if you can get some proper glassware as well. Three pieces should be fine: A pint glass, pilsner glass, and wheat beer glass.

Happy drinking!

I was lucky to find a pint glass in the back of the cup board( all my drinking glasses are by my dads) ended up geting

two brothers Ebels weiss
loved this one puttng together a hefe recipe.

Boulevard unfiltered wheat
realy enjoyed this one aswell could see me sitting around drinking these.
Summit Rebellion stout
Surprised me that I like it As I got an impression from hop devil(50 ibu) that a would hate a 70 Ibu drink liked it enough to forgive the coffee finish(realy don't like coffee)
leinenkugel snowdrift vanilla porter
was alright at first the roasted barley got to much after a while and once it warmed to the point that the coffee taste to over I couldn't finish it felt gritty.
Victory HopDevil
Hated it I think of it as the most efective way to torcher me only manged to drink half of it.

spaten optimator
havent tried yet

and was given

bluemoon harvest pumpkin ale
havent tried yet

bluemoon short straw red ale
havent tried yet

O and ive been drinking for a while its just after trying bmc I thought I hated beer.

It would seem that your pallet favors light ales, stout and lagers hopdevil is one of my favorite brews but it is very hoppy. all of the ones you seemed to like have low hop flavor. i would stick with hefes, blond's, lagers and stout until you taste buds mature. I started out the same way now i only drink heavily hopped pales, ipa and imperial ipa

Latest posts

Back