Take the plunge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
So I'm debating buying a 50# sack of DME from my LHBS, but I'm a little hesitant because of space/preservation/frowns from the GF. I could probably keep it in the packaging since I live in high "desert" AZ and humidity is NOT an issue. It would be so awesome and save me lots of money in the long run (looking at ~$3.00/lb, half normal price) and I could just do batch after batch without worrying about current funds if I made the investment. Anyone else ever have this dilemma?

So I'm debating buying a 50# sack of DME from my LHBS, but I'm a little hesitant because of space/preservation/frowns from the GF. I could probably keep it in the packaging since I live in high "desert" AZ and humidity is NOT an issue. It would be so awesome and save me lots of money in the long run (looking at ~$3.00/lb, half normal price) and I could just do batch after batch without worrying about current funds if I made the investment. Anyone else ever have this dilemma?

Yeah, then I decided I didn't like making extract beers and still had 15 lbs of a 50 lb sack of extract left.

Go for it, as long as you use half it will pay for itself. If you move to grain, at least you will have DME for starters for the rest of your life.

Read about BIAB brewing first. If you still want to do a lot of extract brewing, then buy the bulk DME. Once I tried all grain by BIAB, I never went back to extract.

Yeah, thing of it is I don't have the time/resources to do AG. I currently brew on my electric range top and can't fathom putting a larger brewpot on the stove for a full 90+minute boil. I'm aware of BIAB and use the method for partials sometimes but still lack the capacity for boiling 8-10lbs of grain. All in all my setup is centered around being very economical, economy pot, kitchen utensils etc and I make some really satisfying and sometimes excellent batches, bottled up in re-used bottles that I haven't even bothered removing the labels from. I'm probably gonna go ahead and do it as I can see going through it fairly fast, I usually have 2 batches going at any one time, getting bottled after 3-4week primaries (sometimes two, though rarely). Got a good bit of ambivalence since I started off in this hobby brewing mead, and god knows how long it takes to even get a satisfying taste of your own product.

TAKE THE PLUNGE!

face-plunger.jpg

Back