Dont leave full cornies out in the cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphebbie2

Reaction score
So I just went out to my storage shed to grab a cornie to keg a beer that's ready and this is what I found. This keg was full of starsan and look what happened. I live in the Colorado high country and it's been real cold lately. Anyone who lives where it's cold be forewarned!!!

image-1415337325.jpg

Wow. I guess filling them only a quarter of the way in cold areas makes sense. That is insane.

Great picture. It takes a bit of balls to come on the forum and not only admit a mistake, but display pictures of it. Might keep someone from making the same mistake later.

Making fun of the guy that does this does not take balls.

Not to sound like a jerk or anything like that, but seriously this should be a no brainer.

Ouch. Sorry for your loss.

Star San is not a good storage solution, people. It wasn't designed for that.

I just poured a little beer on my carpet for your fallen homey, remember the good times you had with the keg. The partys she was taped at. Every time you were thinking dam I hate bottling. RIP.... I think it would make a good lamp or mail box.

Just curious. - was it pressurized? I was thinking about this while transporting a couple corneys full of beer - I had them at 30psi for the trip thinking that the higher pressure would lower the freeze point - but I may have that backwards -- chemistry class was a long time ago.

Thanks for posting and I bet you never do that one again. Maybe you just helped out another brewer from this post, Bravo :ban:

Trivia: we can be thankful that water, unlike most other chemicals, expands when it freezes. Otherwise, lakes would freeze solid as the ice sank (it wouldnt' float!) and there would probably not be any life on this planet.

Water is fairly unique in this property. It does become more dense until it reaches about 40°F degrees, but below that it starts to expand. Once it crystalized into ice at 32°F it expands almost 10%! That's why ice floats, and it's also why your keg looks like it does now. Your keg is a small price to pay for life on earth.

Thought it would split at the seam before coming out the top.It kinda reminds me when I get inpatient and put beers in the freezer and then forget about them.

Sorry for you loss

Trivia: we can be thankful that water, unlike most other chemicals, expands when it freezes. Otherwise, lakes would freeze solid as the ice sank (it wouldnt' float!) and there would probably not be any life on this planet.

Water is fairly unique in this property. It does become more dense until it reaches about 40°F degrees, but below that it starts to expand. Once it crystalized into ice at 32°F it expands almost 10%! That's why ice floats, and it's also why your keg looks like it does now. Your keg is a small price to pay for life on earth.

+ this and it would be really difficult to make/chill beer without it. Side note if I remember correctly is also the only chemical (H20) that can be seen in all three forms in the same place, ice,water, and steam.

Back