Safale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any good? Is their lager yeast recomended? I know nothing about Safale but saw it on an online HBS and it got me thinking.

I know Danstar will be releasing a dried real lager yeast soon. There working on consistancy of production right now.

Anyway, any reviews of Safale over all would be appreciated.

Denny's Brew said:
Any good? Is their lager yeast recomended? I know nothing about Safale but saw it on an online HBS and it got me thinking.

I know Danstar will be releasing a dried real lager yeast soon. There working on consistancy of production right now.

Anyway, any reviews of Safale over all would be appreciated.

I love Safale 56. Every time I pitch a packet of that without a starter I still have active fermentation within a few hours. 56 is a real clean finishing yeast, and I don't taste a difference between WLP001. WLP001 doesn't start fermenting (without a starter) near as fast as the dry yeast does.

I bought a packet of safale 04 the other day, but haven't brewed with it yet.

I'd never used it before until just the other day. The homebrew dealer near me was out of smack-packs, so they gave me a packet of US-56. I'm making an amber ale with it and (at least as of last night) it seemed to be doing fine.

mmditter said:
I'd never used it before until just the other day. The homebrew dealer near me was out of smack-packs, so they gave me a packet of US-56. I'm making an amber ale with it and (at least as of last night) it seemed to be doing fine.

Ditto. Except that I'm making a pale ale with it. I'll try to remember to update this thread when I sample it.

Started off very strong and quickly.

I've use safale s-04, but never used any of their saflager products. I'd expect similar quality.

I've used the S-04 several times. Never had any problems except for the last one. Fermented gently for 7 days then stopped. I had broken ny hydrometer, so without thinking to taste, I racked to secondary. Two weeks later (with new hydrometer) I thought about kegging, but the gravity was still 1.028. I wondered if hydrometer could be lying, but it tasted like 1.028. Another brew using another yeast stopped at 1.048. Repitched both with my last S-04 (which I started 3 days ago) and they are both bubbling fine now. Dunno what went wrong. Perhaps my wife had been singing to the fermenters.

-a.

I have made three beers with Safale S-04 and one with Safale US-56.
The 56 ferments out a little more completely than the 04, but as far as I can tell, that's about the only difference.

I'm not overly experienced (9th brew in fermenter now), but for what it's worth, it seems like a pretty good yeast to me.

I just did a lager with a dried saflager which had come in a Festa kit that I had kicking around. I only pitched yesterday with no starter and it's going like mad. I'll let you know how it turns out. It was saflager s23

anyone else tried the lager yeasts? Wondering if they work ok at lager temps? I don't like mail ordering liquid yeast and right now I have a hard time aquiring liquid without a 5 hr drive. So if saflaget / ale work ok, I might oder a bulk puchase and store in the fridge or freezer.

Not sure about flavour yet but I have cooled it to about 58F and it's making all the normal lager stenches. Their webisite says 46-50 for the temp. I'll keep you informed. It's right next to a fermenter with wyeast 2024 bohemian lager, and while the suphur production is not as high as the bohemian, it's still very evident.

Shouldn't have any trouble ordering liquid yeast this time of year. Summer time can be a little tricky sometimes without optional cool packs. I just avoid buying liquid yeast in July and August because of high temperatures.

THREAD RESURRECTION!

I filtered and kegged my American/IPA Pale Ale last night and decided to sample the beer I used to get my FG reading.

OG was 1.070 and FG was 1.004. Taste was extremely clean and I couldn't taste any off flavors or other strange things. Possible downside here is that it doesn't seem to contribute anything special of its own - focuses the beer on the malt and hops flavors. I think I like it for the recipe I used it for. Of course, it could be that the yeast flavors are just quite subtle and are overwhelmed by the 35 or so IBUs.

I will resurrect again and repost in here around Friday or so when it is carbonated and cold. Maybe even again a few weeks later if it lasts that long to see how it aged.

Back