Ok to transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a braggot that I started in a primary a week ago. I also have a blueberry mead that I started two weeks ago. The braggot bubbled great for the first few days but has been pretty freakin quiet for the last several. I was already to transfer blueberry this weekend but it is still bubbling a huge batch of bubbles every 10 seconds or so and so I was thinking of leaving it in the primary another week.

I want one of my primaries to start a stout beer this weekend. Do you think its alright to go ahead and move the braggot to secondary?

And since I know the direction the initial responses will go. No, I don't know the OG or the FGs... cause I am awesome like that :rockin:

Recipes:
Braggot (8 days in the primary. No longer bubbling)
~10 #s honey
3.3 #s dark LME
2 lemons
Chinese loose leaf tea
~4 gallons spring water
EC1118 yeasties

Blueberry Mead (14 days in the primary. Bubbling like a fat kid in a bean factory)
12 #s honey
Crapton of blueberries (yes that is the official SI unit)
2 lemons
1 orange ( I think... I can't remember if I put one in)
Chinese loose leaf tea
~4 gallons spring water
EC1118 yeasties

There is always also option 3: I sack up, grow some patience and just do the stout next weekend. (May be impossible for my ADHD, OCD, addictive personality -> addicted to brewing and want to drink something... self)

I would leave the primary of both batches alone for at least another week on the braggot, and maybe another two weeks on the blueberry. if you're at a certain point in the ferment, I wouldn't want to stir things up too much. It's your brew. I've been talking to some of the people I turned on to homebrewing, and the importance of patience.

I would rather buy another primary before I risked ruining a batch just for space. Just a thought.

As if reading my mind, the gods of mead look to have finished the blueberry primary this morning. Going to check it again tomorrow and if it hasn't changed then I'll transfer it to secondary.

Blueberry
Rough OG 1.095
Current FG 1.000
Already tastes Delicious

Braggot
Rough OG 1.105
Current SG 1.010
Tastes like gasoline... Definitely leaving this one longer

Back