Golden Promise...What Gives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saazall

Reaction score
I know that the diastatic power over most brewers grain is quite variable, but when I have tried to calculate my mash efficiency, the data on Golden Promise runs from 120L to as low as 50L from some supplier sites. Does anyone know what the "real" DP for GP should be?:eek:

There's no "real" value, it will depend on everything from how it's malted to which farm it was grown on and how much rain that farm got last year. Refer to the spec sheet for the lot analysis of the particular batch you have.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure diastatic power and lovibond are independent of each other...

Thanks for the reply. Midwest Supplies has the DP at 56L but the default in BeerSmith is 120L I just reset the BS number and will mash on Saturday. I have never run Golden Promise as high as 85% so we will see if I hit my numbers.

Thanks for the reply. Midwest Supplies has the DP at 56L but the default in BeerSmith is 120L I just reset the BS number and will mash on Saturday. I have never run Golden Promise as high as 85% so we will see if I hit my numbers.

I've been meaning to try some GP someday. Just wondering what you're using for the remainder of the base malt? And what kinda beer are you brewing?

I used to be skeptical of the "Cadillac" base malts, but they make a big difference in flavor. I have Simpsons GP, and it provides an intense graham-cracker maltiness. You can use it in large amounts in beers where you'd like that flavor (browns, milds, most UK/US beer styles), or in small amounts and treat it like a specialty grain.

I am using GP for 85% with the balance of several caramels, blackprinz, melanoidin, and a touch of Marris just because I had a few lbs. Going to be yet another Strong Scotch with an OG target of 1110. Oak and bourbon going in this one for a 6 month sleep. God I'm running out of places to store this. Guess I will have to double my efforts to make room;)

Normally I use simple 2row for IPAs. I gotta go with your GP recipe sometime. That with a pile of Amarillo will definitely make my to-brew list.

saazall said:
Normally I use simple 2row for IPAs. I gotta go with your GP recipe sometime. That with a pile of Amarillo will definitely make my to-brew list.

GP and MO are great in IPAs, in my opinion. The biscuit-y malt goes great with the hoppiness.

Since you want to use GP and Amarillo, I'd highly recommend brewing it as a SMaSH to showcase both of them - they are both very able to stand on their own.

Exactly what I was thinking. I might have to do this one sooner than later. The last smash I did was a Belgian. Simple, amazing flavor. Pils, Goldings, and Ardennes yeast. Gone in 2 weeks.

Back