is it to late to add nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanneb

Reaction score
hi.
making a batch of applewein and didnt add any nutrient. has been fermenting rigorously for about 3-4 days now and i was wondering if adding yeast nutrient now would do anything.
anyone have any input

Take an SG reading. I try not to add nutrients within 0.012 (~3 brix) of the fermentation being finished since if not used up completely it adds an off flavor to cider. Even at that level I would add less that half of the total amount recommended.

other than a healthy fermentation. does the nutrient do anything? i heard it can get rid of sulfur smell but i am not getting sulfur smell. does it do anything to the taste?

other than a healthy fermentation. does the nutrient do anything? i heard it can get rid of sulfur smell but i am not getting sulfur smell. does it do anything to the taste?

Yeast starved of nutrients sometimes produce sulfur compounds and smells, aka rhino farts.

But like ed said, apple juice seems to have enough nutrient content for many yeasts.

And with the aging times of apfelwein, the sulfur leaves the stuff before it's optimal drinking age anyway.

Back