Caramel Flavor in Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sag1189

Reaction score
The most recent PM batch I just kegged has an overpowering caramel flavor to it. The PM temp I was aiming for was 151 but I overshot it and mashed at 158. I only mashed 2.5 lbs. of grain so I didn't think it would make too much of a difference, but could have it?

Also I use LME. I brewed the day after I got it in the mail from MoreBeer (after 7 days of shipping) so I'd assume it is fresh as MoreBeer has provided me with quality ingredients in the past. Therefore, I don't think that it could be the LME caramelizing, especially since I add it late in the boil as well.

So basically, my question to the more experienced brewers is what could cause the caramel flavor, the high mash, the LME, or a combo of both?

Here is the recipe:

OG: 1.059 (wanted it to be closer to 1.055)
FG: 1.016 (wanted it to be closer to 1.012 but I mashed high)

6# Pilsen Light LME
2# Golden Promise
1/2# Vienna
6oz. Crystal20

1oz. Centennial at 60 min
1oz. Centennial at 15 min
2oz. Centennial at 1 min

WLP007 Dry English Ale

Usually Carmel flavor is contributed to using to much crystal malt. Although the recipe isn't presenting this scenario.

Vienna gives a rich, slightly sweet, malty flavor that might come across to some as toffee/caramel.

How many gallons was your boil? If you had a 3 gallon boil, that could cause higher caramelization than expected. Your grain bill doesn't fit a high caramel flavor profile

Piratwolf said:
Vienna gives a rich, slightly sweet, malty flavor that might come across to some as toffee/caramel.

But at only half a lb? The Vienna lager guys are in big trouble.

dgez said:
How many gallons was your boil? If you had a 3 gallon boil, that could cause higher caramelization than expected. Your grain bill doesn't fit a high caramel flavor profile

Yeah it was 3 gallons. I added 2# of the LME at 60 min and the remaining 4# at 15 min.

Edit: Just thought of this, it was the first batch I ever did on a gas stove (normally do it on a not-so-powerful electric in my apartment) and I still use one of those cheap thin SS 5 gal kettles. Could the added heat of the gas burner caramelize the wort? Just food for thought.

Maybe you didn't completely mix all the LME into solution after you added it and it sunk and caramelized on the bottom of the pot. A high heat burner would probably make getting it fully dissolved more important because it would caramelize faster. Just a thought...

super thin pots can scorch or caramelize the wort very easily. id bet thats what happened. just to give you an idea, i thought i was slick once and bought an 8 gal $10 steam pot from walmart and tried to use it on a turkey fryer. at the end of the boil i dumped the wort and was scooping out ash by the handful.

Back