My son wants to be a brewer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
Y 14 yr old son told me he wants to be a brewer. Hes helped me everytime and knows the same if not more than me about brewing. He's always reading something about brewing and formulating stuff. Sometimes I want to just give him the ingredients and let him do the brewing so I don't have to which he's perfectly capable of doing. He's always been into making things and says he finds craft beers and brewing as an art and not just a way to get drunk. It brings a tear to my eye. We might have the next greatest brewer right here! :D

Yeah some kids love creating things even if they can't partake in it. My three year old is fascinated by the malts and she throws the hops in. My eight year old wants to help too and likes bottling. The only glitch was my three year old removing a ferment lock once but that was my best ipa ever! She thought it was a bubble toy.

I think that's great. Demystifying alcohol consumption is a good thing in my book. I hope you both have a great adventure brewing together.

jfuriosi said:
Yeah some kids love creating things even if they can't partake in it. My three year old is fascinated by the malts and she throws the hops in. My eight year old wants to help too and likes bottling. The only glitch was my three year old removing a ferment lock once but that was my best ipa ever! She thought it was a bubble toy.

It just amazes me the passion he has for it. He's always reading byo magazines and I swear he knows more than me. If I continue letting him help and he keeps learning I have a feeling he could get big with brewing.

god, i can't believe you let your kid brew, that must be illegal!!!!

just kidding ;), i think it's awesome.

LandoLincoln said:
I think that's great. Demystifying alcohol consumption is a good thing in my book. I hope you both have a great adventure brewing together.

Thanks. I always found it better for my kid to learn about alcohol early so he's not drinking at parties. But I do let him have samples. And even like the rest of us he downs BMC flavor. Maybe because it's just because my kid but I see potential.

This is what happens in Europe. They demystify it and there are a lot less issues surrounding it. My grandmother is from Ireland. I learned at a young age that irish mist is awful!

That is great, I have a 11 yr. old who is my regular brew assistant. He is more interested than most adults I know. I also allow him to sample our brews so he can understand the cause and effect.

I'm going to use this interest to promote chemistry, biology and mathematics and how important they are and not just to brewing. I'd like to to think that I'm getting one over on him, but he is much sharper than the ol' man.

My son, 12, told me that this is his favorite time of year, because of the way the house smells when I'm brewing. He offers to help clean out the mash tun. Hook, set. Now, if I can teach him to do steaks, he'll be set for life... :)

4 of my 5 kids help me on a regular basis doing different things throughout the process. Its funny though that I get the most help with bottling the last batch I think I touched maybe 10 bottles! 1 was filling 1 was capping and the other 2 were getting bottles off the tree. My oldest daughter 12 is starting to pick out different hops and styles. We also make soda so they have a drink too.

Transamguy77 said:
4 of my 5 kids help me on a regular basis doing different things throughout the process. Its funny though that I get the most help with bottling the last batch I think I touched maybe 10 bottles! 1 was filling 1 was capping and the other 2 were getting bottles off the tree. My oldest daughter 12 is starting to pick out different hops and styles. We also make soda so they have a drink too.

Haha. Same here. I just wanna go here's the recipe go make me beer :D It would be really cool if he opened a brewery someday. Maybe I can guide him toward that :b

Another cool thing about all this too is spending quality time together. To me, cooking (and brewing) are some of the best ways to spend time with your kids.

My 2 boys love cooking with me. I made some blueberry jam with them one day and they loved helping with everything and they ate it all up after.

Back