Farmhouse Ales. Tips, suggestions, and experiences please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlg5039

Reaction score
Farmhouse ales and saisons are styles I'm really getting into in this summer heat. I of course, want to brew my own. I want it to be light bodied and earthy so I was thinking of adding a little rye to the grainbill along with earthy, grassy hops. Think barnyard.

I'm still up in the air about what yeast to use. Anyone care to share anything about ingredients or procedures regarding farmhouse ales?

The one thing is the Belgian saison yeast likes to ferment at a higher temp. Between 70-80. We I did my saison I could only ferment in higher 60's but I turned out really well.

Noted. Ferment hot.

How about:

Belgian pilsner malt. 75%
Rye malt. 15%
Aromatic malt. 5%
Flaked wheat. 5%

OG around 1.050
18-20 ibus. (Noble hop, ekg or the like)

Saison yeasts.

Nice. I would recommend some rice hulls with that much rye. Maybe some candied sugar in the boil too. Brew on!

I would recommend 3711 for yeast, great mouthfeel and an attenuation animal.

Not going against what the other folks said about temp but if you go a little cooler those saison aromatics are a bit more subtle, just depends on what you're going for. I fermented at 68 and had a lot of BMC types like it because aroma wasn't over powering. Check out my profile for my Hay Buck Farmhouse Ale to see what I'm talking about.

Interested to hear how the rye turns out, been thinking about trying rye in a saison. Let us know :mug:

What kind of hops would be the most appropriate. I don't want a lot of hop character but I would like some grassy dirty notes if I could get some.

Saaz and Styrian Goldings are great for saisons, and second on the 3711, it's a beast, I think it took my saison down to 1.000. Great flavor profile too.

Hallertau hops have a really good earthy flavor. So do Saaz and they give a little spicy note as well.

Back