Basic 2 row all grain IPA - looking for suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaky

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm thinking of brewing a very simple batch to be able to get more acquainted with specific hop/grain profiles.
So I'm thinking of doing an IPA all grain with just 2-row and just one type of hop. My goal is to get more familiar with a relatively simple recipe to differentiate the ingredients. Style wise, I want something with more aroma/flavor than bitterness.

If you have any suggestions - would love to hear em:

Fermentables:
9 or 10 pds of 2 row
Should I add 1/2 pd of carapils?

Hops:
I have about 5-10 types of hops where I have 4 oz. So I was thinking of more less continuous hop drop or drop 1 oz at 60min and then 1 oz at 15, 1 oz at 5 min and 1 oz dry hop.
Suggestions on the hops?
I have a few high alpha so i could do 1oz high alpha (ie nuggett or something.)

Yeasts:
I have a bunch of yeasts going but I don't know if they fit the bill.
I have some wb06, s33, t58 and I may have some notty I can revive.

Wish I had some chico or ringwood (I may be able to get some..) any suggestions on the yeasts I have on deck?

Search "SMaSH." There is a sticky, as well as a group.

Domestic 2-row is a pretty boring grain and will really let your hops and yeast shine through. "Pale Ale" (as opposed to just "Pale"), Vienna, or Munich malt is more likely to make a more delicious beer IMHO, but could obfuscate the results if the idea is to put the hops or yeast front and center.

Notty and Chico are good choices for hoppy beers, but definitely don't underestimate the possibilities of different hop and yeast combos!

I make just about all my IPAs with just 2-row pale malt and a little crystal 40 (sometimes crystal 20 or 30 or whatever). They've always turned out well.

Ah. thanks for the tip on SMaSH. Didn't know that there was a following on that subject. This is hard for me as I tend to add all kinds of stuff to my brews. I'm going to see whether my Notty is still active. I have one IPA going with some S33 which should be drinkable soon - http://hopville.com/recipe/201126/imperial-ipa-recipes/oceanfarer. Quite the opposite of a SMaSH....
I may add a bit of crystal and maybe a dab of honey in the secondary. Sounds like I should get a finer grain for a single malt.. maybe some maris otter or something.

tks for the advice.

I drinking my SMaSH as we speak. It has 11lbs of 2-Row and Amarillo hops. I used 1056 American Ale yeast. My next batch of this is going to be with Glacier hops. I mashed at 151, so even though there aren't any specialty malts, there's still a decent body and maltiness.

10# 2-row
2# Vienna or Munich
.5# Crystal (40 or 20 imo)
.5# Carapils

Yes, this is the grainbill for the 2-hearted clone on this site... and, yes, it is delicious.

I drinking my SMaSH as we speak. It has 11lbs of 2-Row and Amarillo hops. I used 1056 American Ale yeast. My next batch of this is going to be with Glacier hops. I mashed at 151, so even though there aren't any specialty malts, there's still a decent body and maltiness.

ah good to know. I still have 50 pd bag of two row - so I can put it to use.

SMASH IPA's are not recommended unless you're making 1.100+ IIPA. It won't have the body to support all that hop flavor. The three yeast strains you listed are not recommended for anything except a wheat beer or a belgian beer. Stick with notty, or some other clean american yeast.

Ended up doing a 2G batch with Ringwood for grins and a 5G batch with Notty. Was sweatin a bit as my Notty was kind of dormant.. Smells great...

Use 2 hops for this run. Nuggett and Cascades. I think that makes it a SMaTH! err...

Back