Hornsby Crisp Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBV

Reaction score
I am looking to make a similar cider as the Hornsby Crisp Apple Hard Cider and I was wondering if anyone can help me out? I have been making my own homebrew since August and want to get into making cider with this being my favorite. I do not have a kegging system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At the risk of sounding snobbish, I think nobody's responded to this request because the recipe for aplewien comes out better tasting than Honsby, and I say that with a shudder cause I'm a purest who doesn't believe in adding sugar to cider and that recipe is loaded with it.

Does the aplewien recipe have a crisp taste, or how do you get that? Can I get that recipe from you, and how do you go about bottling it and having it carbonated? Do you know the hornsby recipe?

SBV search "apfelwine" here and you'll get the recipe. Bottling and carbing takes place right like beer, add priming sugar bottle and wait.

As for hornsby, I'm not familiar with it.

My best suggestion for you would be to get a gallon of High quailty organic cider and add some ale yeast. Let it go until its clear and then prime and bottle. At this point you can taste and decide if you would like to boost alcohol or make other flavor changes.

Cheers
J

I'm guessing from the responses pushing you towards apfelwein (thanks for the spelling correction Yuri!) that we don't know the Hornsby recipe, but we don't want you to give up making cider!

At the risk of sounding snobbish, I think nobody's responded to this request because the recipe for aplewien comes out better tasting than Honsby, and I say that with a shudder cause I'm a purest who doesn't believe in adding sugar to cider and that recipe is loaded with it.

Dosn't sound snobbish at all. Taste buds can be very different so each to his own.

I like apfelwein, but I also like Honsby's crisp apple. Wouldn't mind having a keg to of each around. :mug:

Mcduff

"Cloning" any specific kind of cider is almost impossible. it is not like beer where we can use (nearly) the same ingredients available to the original manufacturer or brewer.

The taste of hard cider is VERY dependent on the kinds of apples used in the unfermented must, as well as the companies specifics on amount of sugar/acid/tannins in the finished product. There is almost no way to know these specifics (unless they tell you the kinds of apples, ie. granny smith cider). Also, unless you have a kegging setup, forget it, you won't get a cider anything like anything hornsby's does, or widers, strongbow, etc. because it's all backsweetened a lot then force-carb'd.

Back