Carboy heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejamesnelson

Reaction score
Just wondering? With temps dropping and the house getting cooler, Im in need of a way to keep my carboys warm. My question is I am currently using a #7 Water Bottle and im wondering if a strap heater that are made for better bottles would work?

a brew belt can be used on plastic fermenters. they can be used up to 8 straight days and as long as the brew is above a minimum SG. ferm wraps can be used on glass and their heating power can be adjusted by varying how much of the carboy is covered or by placing some sort of insulation between the wrap and carboy.

SO it is ok to use a #7 bottle with a heater? just wanted to make sure that it isnt going to give off any ill effects. I know that the use of these bottles has been strongly debated.

My first carboy warmer device consisted of a cooler (that I already had) filled with water, the carboy itself, and an aquarium heater. The one I got was about $15.00 IIRC, and bottoms out around 70F. It works beautifully and automatically maintains that temp no matter what the surroundings. Even with the 6G carboy sticking out above the cooler almost halfway, it still maintains temp. I've also seen this done in rubbermaid storage containers with are very cheap.

If it were me I'd go for Nebben suggestion or put it in a small closet and heat the closet with a small ceramic heater

Rather than apply heat directly to a relatively small area of the plastic bottle

If I did use a belt I would insulate the heck out of the bottle to keep heated area as cool as possible

Latest posts

Back