Who filters when racking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
Does anyone use some type of filter (ie. paint straining bag)on the end of their racking cane when you rack from Primary to bottling?
Also who uses the autosiphon to transfer thier wort to primary and do you use some type of filter on the end of the racking can when you do?

I noticed about an inch of trub in the bottom of my primary so I am thinking I might filter my wort next time, before I pitch.
I will be either transfering to secondary or to bottling this weekend. Brew has been in Primary for two weeks.

I never filter or strain anything. Well, I can't say never, because when I made the Pliny clone (with about 11 ounces of hops), I did. But, that's an exception. I leave the beers in the fermenter long enough for them to be clear, and for the trub to be very tightly compacted. I just rack from above the trub. If I've dry hopped, and the leaf hops are floating, I rack from between the floating hops and the trub. It always works fine for me.

I was a winemaker before I started brewing, so I was used to racking and not transferring any sediment.

As Yooper stated...
Leave it in the primary longer and let the yeast clean up after themselves. Also, don't just put your siphon down in the trub, I usually keep mine about 4" below the surface until I reach the bottom. :mug:

I primary for 30 days. I have a 3 inch trub from an IPA that I recently brewed (about 3 weeks ago) and didn't filter. I was thinking of racking to a secondary, but I kept delaying to see if it would flatten down any more. At this point, I doubt I'll bother to rack it off the trub. I may just give it 40-45 days in the primary instead...

Usually 4 weeks for me.

Yeah, about 3-4 weeks or so. I have plenty of beer all over the place now, so I rack whenever I have time/an empty keg/feel like it. I don't think I've ever racked off of the yeast cake earlier than about 3 weeks. Unless it's a beer like a lager, or I have a reason to use a secondary, that is.

couple days before you rack into your bottling bucket or keg, stick a book or piece of wood under one side of your carboy and raise one side of it. Then the yeast will run down to the other side. Then when you're ready to bottle it, take whatever you propped it up with out, and gently set it back down and rack from the side that don't have the yeast cake on it.

If I dry hop, I filter my beer as I siphon from the secondary to the bottling bucket. I stick the end of the racking case into a fine-meshed strainer bag. It works perfectly.

If I don't dry hop, I don't use a secondary nor filter when transferring to the bottling bucket.

couple days before you rack into your bottling bucket or keg, stick a book or piece of wood under one side of your carboy and raise one side of it. Then the yeast will run down to the other side. Then when you're ready to bottle it, take whatever you propped it up with out, and gently set it back down and rack from the side that don't have the yeast cake on it.

This is great advice. I have never heard this before, but sounds logical to me.
I think I will leave my brew in Primary for 3 weeks then try this before I bottle.
Thanks for the great tip!!!

Back