Tippy Dump on a Brutus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickhouse

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to design a tippy dump for my yet to be built Brutus. I need advice on how to solve a few problems:

(1) How do you determine the position of the tippy and the swing angle of the mashtun?

(2) Is it a problem for the mash tun to be higher than (i.e. not sit on) the sculpture?

(3) What do you think of having the tippy dump lock in the dump position to remove the grain (is this necessary?) and how would you do it?

(4) Would a single 'stick' of 2" be enough support for the tippy, or do I need a triangle like B3's design?

(5) Where and how would you attach a grain shute?

Thank you for your advice!

I made my stand with tippy dumps for the MLT and BK and to be honest, it doesn't have all that much utility. I ended up not ever using it. I just suck the spend grain and hops out of them with my shop vac. Scrub, rinse, and suck that out too.

I can appreciate you wanting a tippy dump my friend... I thought long and hard about this in my original Brutus design. It indeed must have to be designed around (just above) the max CG of a full mash tun and NOT something that tips the whole tun over the edge... Not many systems are designed to hang that much weight over the edge without compromising the CG of the system itself and tipping the whole dang thing over...

In the end though, I felt that it was just not a necessary feature to expend the energy and funds on... A very cool feature, indeed I would agree if coolness is the factor... It's just too easy for me to yank the mash tun off and dump the whole thing into a trash can! :)

I'm trying to figure out how to design a tippy dump for my yet to be built Brutus. I need advice on how to solve a few problems:
I don't have a Brutus, my small mash tun has a tippy dump and the large one has man hole.

Removing the tun is easy.
The tun hangs by the black Delrin material only.

Tun5.jpg

Mash_Tun_Hanger3.jpg

MashTun_hanger3.jpg

Tippy dump stop
Mash_Tun_Stop.jpg

I made my stand with tippy dumps for the MLT and BK and to be honest, it doesn't have all that much utility. I ended up not ever using it.
I am currently working on a different removal system, using compressed air.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Indeed ClaudiusB my friend...

If it were me, the single 2" tubing is plenty to support a system like this on my Brutus design. I'd have it off-set just a tad, and simply lift the mash tun up into the saddles and dump... This is what I had in mind, but it just was not in the final cards...

Say my friend, you and I are too close to not meet some weekend on a brew trip and have a dang dang beer or two! I have kept up with you for a long time...

Lonnie Macwrote: Say my friend, you and I are too close to not meet some weekend on a brew trip and have a dang dang beer or two!

I love to meet the brain behind the famous BRUTUS system.
Gives me a chance to tell the hole German brewing community
" I know that guy"

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Where did reply #6 & 7 go?:confused:

Lonnie Mac did you change your mind?:mad:

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I went with Bobby's idea. My back doesn't like bending over long enough to clean out the tuns on the ground. I haven't used it yet but I did test the cleaning phase. A trash can under the edge to dump the grains into and a bucket to catch the final grain rinse water. I also scrubbed the BK. It seemed to work pretty good.
DSCN2363.JPG

I went with Bobby's idea. My back doesn't like bending over long enough to clean out the tuns on the ground. I haven't used it yet but I did test the cleaning phase. A trash can under the edge to dump the grains into and a bucket to catch the final grain rinse water. I also scrubbed the BK. It seemed to work pretty good.
DSCN2363.JPG

This is a great idea, and one I had played with a long time ago. What I was alluding to was that this idea could never be used on Brutus (or just about any single tier system) as it would tip the whole system over on it's face! :)

Back