Brewing friendly kitchen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clipper

Reaction score
The wife made me promise that before I get to involved with this new hobby that I finish the kitchen remodel that is in it's fourth week. I'm at the stage where the demo is over and I'm putting things back together which of course got me to thinkin.. is there anything that can make a space more home brewing friendly stopping short of putting a full boil setup in the center island. Any suggestions would be great.

Clipper

The bigger the sink the better.

Threaded faucet

STRONG burner elements/pot stands (even 3 Gallon boils crushed my pathetic little electric burner element)

Big Stainless sink. We have a white ceramic and it is very hard.
Corian or Laminate. We have granite and it's also very hard, and slippery when wet. I have to put towels down whenever I bottle.
NO hardwood floors in kitchen. (yes, that too)
Gas stove.

+1 on the hose sink thing.
A high faucet, so you can rinse out a bucket easily.
DW with sanitize option.

might want to have a hose hookup under the sink, for you chiller/filling your pot.

I would go with gas burners, cooking is always better with gas, and a 5 burner setup is great (one big on in the middle(its for a griddle, yeah thats it a griddle)).

Lots of space you always need more counter space then you have, and two ovens are better then one.

DO NOT use a glass top stove. I can't use a very big pot indoors because the pot can only sit outside of the burner area 1 inch so pretty much anything over 4 gallongs is tough. Any more than that and you risk cracking the stove.

+1 on a nice big stainless steel sink with a high faucet.

Figure out how to install one of these in your kitchen and you'll be set.

p1040007qr5.jpg

I'm doing all the work on this project myself so adding a few extras is easy enough. I planed the materials around cleaning up after 3 kids. Cast iron sink. Quartz countertops and heated tile floors. I did already buy a gas range so that will work out good and a high neck pull of faucet is must. Pot filler necks are really great but I'm having a hard time spending several hundred bucks for it but I planned the plumbing rough in so it could be added later. A hose bib/wort chiller spigot under the sink a great idea. Should upgrade the exhaust hood also. I found this sink a the local Kohler dealer for 1/2 off, she says I can put a shorter one tap tower over the small basin if she gets a built in wine fridge... even trade I guess.
etc.jpg

keep the suggestions coming although I may need to sell a kidney to pay for it all.

Clipper

I'll have to check on the purifier does that eliminate the pre boiling of the water. I did put a floor drain in the laundry room/dog room and I could use washable bath paint on the ceiling, might be cheaper to bring the JD690 in and just start over from the foundation..

And I thought fly tying was expensive.

Clipper

I have a fairly run of the mill GE gas range with five burners. I can easily do a full 5 gallon boil. My kettle fits over three burners and boils as fast as my turkey fryer.

Gas is the best.

Rudeboy

+1 on gas.

I hate going to my buddies house for brew days with an electric stove. i always use the grill on the porch when i go, its a reminder of what im missing at home.

If your stove can handle a full boil you will also need a proper hood to take away all of the steam. I get tired of mopping the ceiling in the kitchen.

Between this and EdWort's backyard brewhaus, I'm just (amazed at/jealous of) the amount of disposable income some brewers have. I guess I should have gone to college after all :(

Edited: Man, if I had the chance to redesign my kitchen with brewery tools... I'd have a huge deep sink, a kegerator, lots of open working space, a water filtration system... Would 2 seperate sinks be out of the question? I always have to do the dishes before I brew to clear out the sink. A second sink would clear that speedbump in a hurry.

One of the curses of being handy with tools is you tend to go over board on the extras .The changes that have been initiated by the idea of brewing indoors have added very little to the over all costs. I do most of the real cooking in our house so the new range was a bit of an extravagance but I'm worth it:mug:

Back