Shipping full kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottSA

Reaction score
First time poster, long time reader. I have a dilemma. I have a friend who is getting married at the end of May and I'd love to bring a couple of corny kegs of homebrew. However, I'm flying out, and I'm wondering if there is feasible way of shipping the kegs out there and having the beer be carbonated.

Any suggestions are welcome. I may just have to buy some from a local brewery or something.

Thanks!

No direct knowledge, but my gut tells me no.

Those things weigh a bunch when they're full. I suppose a specialty shipping company could do it, but would charge a ton.

How about packing it up all nice and paying for an overweight checked bag on the airline?

I'v checked cases of beer in my suitcase before without problems.

Greyhound freight from NYC to San Fran is $68 for a 60# 'box' I'm thinking about shipping my brew to the west coast for my yearly boat trip. I'll either rent a reg and tank, or go with the portable charger and a picnic tap.
Shipping it Greyhount takes 3 days, and you don't know the route. it could go through Texas, then Colorado, subjecting it to temp extremes.

I wouldn't do it for a contest, but beer for friends, sure thing.

I'll just bring the empty kegs back on the plane.

B

Back