BierMuncher Centennial Blonde ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwhill

Reaction score
Greeting all. I'm preparing to do my first AG brew maybe this weekend. I have decided on the BierMuncher Centennial Blonde. It looks like a great beer to brew. Tonigh I stopped at my LHBS to see what ingredients they had. Below are a few things I couldn't find or what seemed close and was hoping for some input on the way they had things labeled. Also I asked the guy there (although I don't know how accurate he was) about how long cracked grains would keep before using them. He said no more than 12 hours. Is this correct? I wouldn't be able to buy the grains the night before run them through the mill and use them the next morning or so?

Here is the schedule as BierMuncher built.
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) **they had English 2 row Pale or American 2 row pale**
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) **Only thing I could see was Breiss Carapils**
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)**Only had 20L or higher in this**
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Thanks for any input.

Use:

American 2-row (not a substitute, that's what you want)
Breiss Carapils (not a substitute, that's what you want)
Crystal 20L (accept a very slightly darker color)

You can store crushed grain for several months with no problem. Get all the air out of the bag, and store it in a cool, dark, place.

Use:

American 2-row (not a substitute, that's what you want)
Breiss Carapils (not a substitute, that's what you want)
Crystal 20L (accept a very slightly darker color)

You can store crushed grain for several months with no problem. Get all the air out of the bag, and store it in a cool, dark, place.

Thanks, Yuri. So that guy was way off on the storage of grains.. Glad I asked.

Also I asked the guy there (although I don't know how accurate he was) about how long cracked grains would keep before using them. He said no more than 12 hours. Is this correct? I wouldn't be able to buy the grains the night before run them through the mill and use them the next morning or so?

Yes, you can use them the next day. You can do use them the following weekend. They do go stale after a while, but 12 hours is ridiculous. I rarely brew even within a couple days of having my grains ground. The sooner the better, but I've gone as much as a month with pre-ground grains.

This recipe is absolutely freakin' awesome. I am making it my house recipe. Only thing I did different is add 1 to 1.5 lbs of belgian candy sugar, once amber and once clear, to up the ABV. All those BMC drinkers will think they have died and gone to heaven when they try this.

EDIT: Thanks BierMuncher...I tip my glass to you, and of course I call it..........."BierMuncher Brew" while it is on tap. It was the first keg in my kegerator, and was drank in less than 2 weeks. I was Shocked at how fast it went. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

You could forgo the #10 and use 1 full pound of the vienna. The #20 will simply give you a bit more golden color, but not nearly enough to really change the character of the beer.

A 12 hour shelf life for crushed grains is nonsense. Before I got my BC, I'd order 55 pound sacks of crushed grains that would get used over 4-5 weeks. I had to order all my specialty grains pre-crushed as well.

Nothing personal against your LHBS guy, but if I'd have been in the store and overheard him saying that to a customer...I'd have laughed out loud and I'm pretty sure a lively debate would have ensued.

Good luck with the recipe...it'll be just fine. :D

Nothing personal against your LHBS guy, but if I'd have been in the store and overheard him saying that to a customer...I'd have laughed out loud and I'm pretty sure a lively debate would have ensued.

Good luck with the recipe...it'll be just fine. :D

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure and let you know how your recipe turns out and hopefully I'll get it right.
The guy at the LHBS was a younger one it was alte in the evening and was not the "brew guy" of the shop..It cracked my up because he said it with such authority then I overheard him verify with another guy who said he wasn't sure..I should go abck and tell the owner who I know (sort of) so he can jack the kid up and tell him not to hand out info if he isn't sure.

Back