2013 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less photo-y more video-y:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q7FAJrhtEP0

Setup a drip irrigation system and decided to shoot a crummy little video to share on my facepage.

Hey TJ,

If you raise the buckets up, you will have more pressure. This will get water to the center emitters more evenly. Those emitters are designed to operate at around 15-20psi, which would be around 35+ ft.

Also, 2 five gallon buckets is not nearly enough, unless it's filled 3 times a day in the summer. You should be irrigating to 60" per year per season (mostly April - august). For your plants, next year, I would look into getting two 55gal drums and filling those at least twice a week. I am running one drum, twice a week, for my 8 plants.

If you want more info, pm me. I'm down in sheboygan county.

MT

Thank you MT,

The reason why the buckets are down low is so that they are not visible (due to the grass) from the land owner's driveway. I would love to generate more head pressure, but then it would look tacky and I don't want to upset Brian or his old lady. I've gotta work with what I have available to me, atleast until I figure out something down here in Oshkosh.

-Tim

Thank you MT,

The reason why the buckets are down low is so that they are not visible (due to the grass) from the land owner's driveway. I would love to generate more head pressure, but then it would look tacky and I don't want to upset Brian or his old lady. I've gotta work with what I have available to me, at least until I figure out something down here in Oshkosh.

-Tim

I hear you on that....no one really likes blue barrels all over there yard! :mug:

I painted mine a forest green color, and they really don't catch your eye at all. You should do a google search for "painted rain barrel". There are tons of ways to dress up a plastic drum...here is a neat one:
Muncie_painted.png

Or, you could cover them with slats of barn board or something, with a little construction adhesive, making them look like little wooden water towers. Quick search found this one...
Kyle%20Brooks%20crop%20final2_thumb.jpg

We're getting off topic here now....but I checked my Centennials this morning and they are just starting to turn a little brown. I might be harvesting by the weekend!!!! :rockin:

blawjr said:
As of today:

What exactly did you do to set up your trellis' I'm looking to do some potted hops next year and was thinking something similar. Just curious how you set up the based which are now covered in beautiful hops.

My second and final harvest went well with these 3rd year plants. Chinook on left screen / Cascade on the right.

image-1966879319.jpg

image-82113291.jpg

Wet hops at flameout rule!

Apparently I need to move to the west coast, my cones just barely started forming on one plant.

Apparently I need to move to the west coast, my cones just barely started forming on one plant.

All hop varieties vary in their time to cone maturity, and it is also a care/weather thing too. My Centennials will be ready by this weekend probably, Cascades right next to them have maybe another month to go, and the wild ones don't even have burrs yet.

I'm in WI, hops love it here. :mug:

i harvested my newport, cascade, columbus and centennial 2 weeks ago... so it's not just a west coast thing. i've also got cones on the santiam, sterling and nugget that probably need to be picked.

Finally! Burrs are turning to cones! !! On my
1st year ctz at least! ..was last rhizome to sprout and first to cone! I'm here in the Midwest BTW

ForumRunner_20130724_143515.jpg

He ones that clued me in were the ones with browning edges. They felt like a dried papery napkin, had a pleasant hoppy smell, had visible yellow lupulin, and the strig separated from the bracts. I ended up with 3.1 oz of dry hops. Can't wait to make a SMaSH with it!

ForumRunner_20130724_211605.jpg

Ok then some of my bullions r getting ready to b picked. Starting to feel papery but no brown edges yet. They r starting to have a god smell though. Thanks for ur reply!

He ones that clued me in were the ones with browning edges. They felt like a dried papery napkin, had a pleasant hoppy smell, had visible yellow lupulin, and the strig separated from the bracts. I ended up with 3.1 oz of dry hops. Can't wait to make a SMaSH with it!

Also. When you pick do you just snip it off at the stem?

Also. When you pick do you just snip it off at the stem?

You just grab at the base of the individual hop cones (near the stem), with the cone between your thumb and index/middle fingers....pull down and they come right off. Try not to squish them too much, as this will dislodge lupulin glands.

Had a bit of an accident last night. My hops had been growing up to the top of my fence, and then I had them strung across my patio to an eyelet about 25' up my chimney. It appears the thin jute twine I was using couldn't handle the wieght as they all snapped. I had four strings going up and they all came down yesterday. Went up last night and restrung them. Hoping there wasn't too much damage...

my first year planting hops in center city philadelphia.
one plant (mt. hood) is grown literally in a raised bed thats 3 bricks high on top of concrete. the oplant is now almost 20ft high and has a beautiful view of part of the philly skyline in the background. this one was planted may 1st.
the other (magnum) is grown in a bag lined basket and looks very healthy. i planted it later than mt. hood so its not quite as high, but growing fast.

so.. i have plenty of long sidearms on the magnum and not so many on the mt hood. i dont see any burrs, but i do see what looks like they could be burrs eventually?
i would really like to get thoughts from someone who really knows about growing..
what are the odds these sidearms will produce cones?
anything specific i should look for that will indicate that i might have a harvest?

thanks!

20130721080459692-1.jpg

20130725_092631.jpg

20130719_173117.jpg

1st year Cascade, which seems to be doing better than all my other plants...
The bottom 2 pic's are a 2nd year Centennial, which is doing alright, but no cones again.
Im pretty bummed, that only a few of my plants are doing okay, but the rest are struggling.
I know what I'm doing next year to solve that problem. Lots of fert's and good potting soil, instead of the dang garden soil I bought, it was terrible.
(Not pictured) Only one of my chinook has sidearms, the other doesn't, but they both have some cones.

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

I've got second year plants but they're in the ground first year. About a third are doing really well, the second group is catching up and the last group I'm just going to be patient until next year. Getting some decent cones on my brewers gold, not enough to harvest yet but I'm watching closely.

image-2535350312.jpg

image-3550444544.jpg

so.. i have plenty of long sidearms on the magnum and not so many on the mt hood. i dont see any burrs, but i do see what looks like they could be burrs eventually?
i would really like to get thoughts from someone who really knows about growing..
what are the odds these sidearms will produce cones?
anything specific i should look for that will indicate that i might have a harvest?

your plants are in their first year... keep expectations low. they are concentrating on their root system this year. your harvest will likely be pretty small.

the cones will grow from those side-arms. your photos aren't detailed enough for me to see whether or not you have burrs. regardless, time will tell. hang in there!

I know what I'm doing next year to solve that problem. Lots of fert's and good potting soil, instead of the dang garden soil I bought, it was terrible.

it's never too late to start fertilizing. it'll make the plant healthier and even if it doesn't lead to more cones this year, you'll be setting yourself up for success next year.

I have already harvested cones once this summer, this is what I had yesterday. This is a 2nd year Cascade plant in Jacksonville, FL.
hops072613b.jpg

hops072613a.jpg

1st year cascade. The cones are just starting to form, but tons of them.

image-612006073.jpg

1st year centennial. Cones are coming along nicely, but not many of them.

image-777602575.jpg

I started harvesting my Centennials yesterday here in central NY state. I think I need to invest in a dehydrator to have room to store them all.

ForumRunner_20130728_084030.jpg

First year hops in MD. First harvest today for cascade and saaz. I just tossed them all into an apa.

IMG_20130731_164657_764.jpg

IMG_20130731_173933_110.jpg

My 1st year cascade. My neighbors 2nd year doesn't have 1/2 the cones this thing does...

image-3998825882.jpg

image-3633568060.jpg

And mine was grown in a pot...

My first year plants, my gutters are @ about 18 feet to give a sense of perspective how big the cascade is.

Cascade, grew like a beast, now its flowering like one too. You can see there are a crapload of flowers. The good part is that a lot of them are up by the 2nd story bedroom window, so i can pop the screen off and reach out and harvest a lot of them! I didnt even plan it that way but it actually works great.
2013-07-31%2019.12.15.jpg

Close up of Cascades from my 2nd story window
2013-07-31%2019.45.31.jpg

Newport also growing good, flowering as well.
2013-07-31%2019.12.58.jpg

And finally my Columbus, the smallest of the bunch, but still producing! Thankfully it stopped growing once it hit the top and started flowering, so there isnt really any cascades tangling in with it, if there is its very minimal(maybe a half dozen cones).
2013-07-31%2019.13.02.jpg

Excited to share my backyard hops garden.

The vines on the far (right) side are technically 2nd year, but last year I had them planted in pots and their performance wasn't the best. In the ground they've exploded.

I have Cascade, Nugget, and Columbus.

Some of the cones are ready to harvest (starting to turn brown) and considering it is August 1st, rather early. But I'll dry them and add them to the others from later this season.

IMG_20130801_084249.jpg

IMG_20130801_084257.jpg

IMG_20130801_082615.jpg

IMG_20130801_084242.jpg

IMG_20130801_084222.jpg

ForumRunner_20130802_174231.jpg

ForumRunner_20130802_174250.jpg

First year cascade. Can't wait to brew an IPA with them. Also i need to get rid of some weeds.

My first year nugget is lagging behind but it has a lot of burrs. Both cascades didn't make it. Centennial is doing so so and I harvested about a quart (drying now, so I didn't weigh em). But man... My fuggles blew UP! Like woah. Anyway, here's the first round. More to come

image-265352347.jpg

image-3463332230.jpg

My first year nugget is lagging behind but it has a lot of burrs. Both cascades didn't make it. Centennial is doing so so and I harvested about a quart (drying now, so I didn't weigh em). But man... My fuggles blew UP! Like woah. Anyway, here's the first round. More to come

Wow those are meaty! My nugget is slower too, I think it's part of the breed.

Wow those are meaty! My nugget is slower too, I think it's part of the breed.

My nugget is the only one right now that has not a single hop on it. Tons of little spurs though, so in a few weeks it will be heavy with hops. That will probably be a mid September harvest. My Willamette. And sunbeam are full of hops cones now. I've already harvested 3 dry oz. off of the sunbeam.

I harvested today off my first year cascades. I netted ~2 lbs. of hops before drying from 4 plants. Not sure if that's a good net or not.

photo-1-60646.jpg

I harvested today off my first year cascades. I netted ~2 lbs. of hops before drying from 4 plants. Not sure if that's a good net or not.

same with me, I just harvested my cascade also. 2 lbs sounds great though, compared to my few oz's, off of one plant.

IMG_0589.jpg

Back